Camping Gaz

Google "campsite fires allowed" pages from the UK gives:

lots of others. Easy.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

|Out of interest, are there many campsites about that allow fires? Or |even better, provide wood for a fire?

Most in the USA

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The message from Owain contains these words:

I tried rubbing two boy scouts together but all I got was into hot water from the Youth Service.

Reply to
Guy King

The only drawback is availability of CalorGas on the continent. This may or may not be a problem for you and is easily mitigated by having two regulators/adaptors and taking the CampingGaz bottle with you instead.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

|Guy King wrote: |> Cor - ain't it expensive? |>

|> I've not used it before but my first trip to get a bottle has left me |> rather startled. |>

|> It appears to be cheaper to swap the regulator and use Calorgas bottles |> instead - they're way cheaper and the cylinder charge isn't so |> exhorbitant. |>

|> Any thoughts - apart from the obvious "You're not qualified to play with |> gas, your knees will turn yellow and your teeth go pop". | |The only drawback is availability of CalorGas on the continent. This |may or may not be a problem for you and is easily mitigated by having |two regulators/adaptors and taking the CampingGaz bottle with you |instead.

I use Calor in the UK and have one CampingGaz bottle for use on the Continent. I swap the regulators as required.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The message from "Mathew Newton" contains these words:

Well, I ain't got the CG bottle 'cos it was outrageously expensive and I rebelled. But 4.5kg of gas should last well enough anyway.

Reply to
Guy King

I "have heard" you can often go to your local tip on a rainy day (when the operatives are indoors), and "liberate" a gas bottle (if it's one where bottles can be dumped). Not that I would *ever* have done such a thing, you understand!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Whilst on this subject does anyone know the actual weight of a refill with a tare weight of 6.75kilo's? I know how to find how much has gone into the bottle by deducting the tare weight from the whole weight of the bottle using digital bathroom weighing scales, but what is the actual amount that a refill of 6.75kilo's size can be filled to?

Thanks.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The message from "Bob Mannix" contains these words:

I have an arrangement with my local tip. I'm helpful and considerate and polite - and they occasionally let me walk off with stuff. Seems only fair.

Reply to
Guy King

Hence the alias, I presume! Our tip used to be like that, now it's hotly commercial and rebuilt to make throwing anything away more difficult :o(

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Ours has gone really strict - they stop you on the way in to see what you've got and then pretty much follow you round making sure you put stuff in the correct places. One bloke took a cardboard box full of crap off me, emptied the crap into "General Waste" and put the box in "Cardboard". I took a door last week with the hinges still attached and I was sure they were gonna make me take the hinges off so I could put the door in "Wood" and the hinges in "Metal".

Reply to
Richard Conway

The message from "Bob Mannix" contains these words:

Yeah, ours isn't as good as it was.

One of the (very few) things I really miss about living in Hounslow is the skips. Hounslow is a very old town and there's no zoning as such so the industrial units are mixed in with the commercial and housing. So when a shop refits or an office changes users[1] or a factory has a lot of offcuts they're all there to grab. Telford is all zoned so it's hard to get to anything nice 'cos it's all locked away and nowhere near where you walk anyway.

[1] Big office block opposite where I used to work was rented out piecemeal and firms would come and go at least every three months from the various floors. The skips were magic - whole filing systems, complete phone systems, printers and fax machines still in their boxes - that sort of thing. Even firedoors with brass fittings and posh closers and furnture - the lot. Smashing. I used to make a couple of hundred quid a month trawling that skip.
Reply to
Guy King

The message from Richard Conway contains these words:

See - I don't mind all that 'cos that's what I'd do anyway - but if you're pleasant about it and helpful after a few trips you'll find they loosen up and get more helpful in return.

Reply to
Guy King

I expect your council is getting paranoid about meeting its landfill reduction quota.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I'm not saying I wouldn't put things in the right place - they just get really excited about it! I suppose it must piss them off having sort things because people can't be arsed and just dump everything in the general bit. I suppose its easier for them to help people put stuff in the right place rather than sort through it all.

Reply to
Richard Conway

|Guy King wrote: |> The message |> from Richard Conway contains these words: |> |>> I took a door last week with the hinges still attached and |>> I was sure they were gonna make me take the hinges off so I could put |>> the door in "Wood" and the hinges in "Metal". |> |> See - I don't mind all that 'cos that's what I'd do anyway - but if |> you're pleasant about it and helpful after a few trips you'll find they |> loosen up and get more helpful in return. |> |I'm not saying I wouldn't put things in the right place - they just get |really excited about it! I suppose it must piss them off having sort |things because people can't be arsed and just dump everything in the |general bit. I suppose its easier for them to help people put stuff in |the right place rather than sort through it all.

As explained by one of the employees at my local tip. If the wrong stuff gets put into a skip, they have to sort the wrong stuff out later. Which is enough to piss anybody off.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The message from Richard Conway contains these words:

What oils the wheels of sweetness is how cheerful people are about it. If they're grumpy then you can guarantee the public will return it with knobs on!

Reply to
Guy King

They can be a bit - I think they are on the defensive from the start.

Reply to
Richard Conway

Perhaps you should approach them and say "I've got this very big box of biscuits which are just past the sell-by date" and they'll probably helpfully take them off your hands and put them in the Broken Biscuits Receptacle.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nah, they would just moan about having to put the metal tin in the "metal" bit and the separating paper in the "paper" bit. Don't get me started on the number of trips to the "crumb" bit they'll have to make :)

Reply to
Richard Conway