Cameras v Wireless network

Thinking of using wireless cameras for security. Does anyone know if these will interfere with a wireless computer network.?

Reply to
Rupert (W.Yorkshire)

If you use good IP cameras then yes, but in a desirable way. If your talking about that unbranded Chinese tat off ebay then I guese it would be pretty awfull in every way.

Reply to
FKruger

wireless IP cameras that is.

Reply to
FKruger

Quite likely but you won't know until it is too late. Consider mainsbourne ip comms using homeplug. you will only need to get power to the camera, homeplug will do the rest.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Or consider a PoE camera with PoE switch.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

On Sun, 20 May 2007 09:36:27 GMT, "Piers Finlayson" mused:

I think everyone's got the wrong end of the stick here. I'm assuming the OP is fitting some cheap old s**te from Argos. PoE and wireless IP cameras are waaaay over budget. It's be nice if the OP proved me wrong though.

The cheap s**te wireless cameras from Argos interfere with other things and are interfered with quite drastically in most cases.

Reply to
Lurch

Interesting that comment about Chinese quality. To those of us old enough to remember that was exactly the case with Japanese goods, they soon learnt though and took over the world (almost).

Reply to
Broadback

I love the way people say that - I'm willing to bet that hardly any IP cameras available are not manufactured in China.

Reply to
Grunff

On Sun, 20 May 2007 11:39:10 +0100, Grunff mused:

To be fair, some of the absolute garbage and also some of the decent stuff comes from the same areas of China.

Reply to
Lurch

That's exactly my point - the fact that it's China makes no difference - some great quality stuff comes from China, as does some total cr@p.

Reply to
Grunff

The keyword is "unbranded".

Reply to
FKruger

And the relevance of "Chinese" is? Is unbranded Chinese crap inferior to unbranded Korean crap?

Reply to
Grunff

The Chinese and Thai's etc are more than capable of making electronics of the highest quality but you wont find it on ebay described as something like "Sony 1/3 inch ccd" blah blah blah.

Reply to
FKruger

How about combining an an IP camera (eg. Axis 206) with a HomePlug ethernet-over-powerline arrangement (eg. Netgear XE104). I've found this combination to be very reliable, it avoids the range and interference issues that come with wireless networks, and the hassle of long cable runs. The Lundycam website at

uses this combination.

Reply to
Simon

I don't think it is at all likely. Wireless devices rarely interfere with one another, in my experience. Eg in this house I have WiFi (2 access points on different channels), Bluetooth, GSM phones, DECT phones, wireless doorbell, microwave oven, as well as ordinary radios & TV, and I have never seen any interference.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

depends if they use the same frequencies, UK assumed for all that follows

usuually 2400-2500MHz, but if you've use channels 1, 6 or 13 they won't overlap with each other

or less usually 5150-5350MHz

user 2402-2480MHz but low power and frequency hopping so interference will be minimized

use 890-925 and 935-960MHz or 1710-1785 and 1805-1880MHz for GSM/GPRS, or 1885-2025MHz and 2110-2200MHz for 3G

1880MHz to 1900MHz

likely 315 or 433MHz

not designed to transmit, but will interfere at 2450MHz

87-107MHz for FM 174-240MHz for DAB 470-854MHz for TV

because they largely avoid sharing spectrum,

The cheapo wireless video senders tend to use either 2400MHz where they /do/ tend to interfere with (and get interfered with by) WiFi, or

1200MHz which is not legal in the UK.
Reply to
Andy Burns

All the unbranded stuff is sourced from China.

Reply to
FKruger

On Sun, 20 May 2007 18:00:01 GMT, FKruger mused:

So is a lot of branded stuff. A lot of unbranded stuff comes from outside of China, as does a lot of branded stuff also.

Your point is?

Reply to
Lurch

Would one of these suite you?

230132427088

Reply to
FKruger

On Sun, 20 May 2007 18:12:44 GMT, FKruger mused:

Do ou have any idea what's going on?

Reply to
Lurch