cameras on lamp-posts?

Near me are a couple of lamp-posts on opposite sides of the road (busy estate) which have some sort of camera device aiming at the oncoming traffic. There are no additional boxes on the posts.

The cameras are about 1.5" high; 7" wide and about 8" deep. I think they have 3 windows on the front.

I haven't seen any others so I have discounted traffic flow monitoring. Any ideas?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

ANPR?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes. A photo would be a huge help. ;-)

Reply to
Tim+

ANPR.

Reply to
dennis

Orwellian present?

Reply to
johnjessop46

Sounds like it - the 3 windows are 2 for infrared LEDs, and one for the camera lense. There are thousands of these, and it was their roll-out which enabled the tax disc to be ditched.

Another new camera type being rolled out over last couple of years is the new type of average speed camera. They point at a picture frame painted on the road, and illuminated by a dedicated streetlamp or LED spotlights. They raised £100,000 in fines on the A40 and A406 North Circular Road in the first month of operation before the signs were erected. They are being rolled out on many main roads in London this year, and the Gatsos are being removed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We don't have those and ditched our equivalent of the tax disc anyway.

The cop cars have what allowed the equivalent of the tax disc to be ditched and allows the cops to f*ck the driver of the car that fails the check over.

Reply to
hgww

I'm reliably informed Jay Leno commented to JC about remote automatic speed cameras or similar "we wouldn't have a problem with these in America, we'd just shoot them out". Wonder how protected they are against an airgun or a crossbow?

Reply to
johnjessop46

Shirely, before the signs are in place and correct size, location, colours etc, the "offences" recorded by the cameras are not enforceable? Or did people just cough up without checking the "evidence".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

As long as the speed limit signs are OK there is no requirement to make speed traps visible. The signs are just to encourage you to drive according to the law.

Reply to
dennis

There is (was?) a requirement to make them hi-viz if they wanted the fine "income" to stay local, rather than get whisked off to central government coffers ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think the hi-viz rule only applied to speed cameras, ANPR cameras are not speed cameras. Also plenty of unmarked police cars are fitted with ANPR don't see them being repainted dayglo yellow any time soon.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

The discussion turned to the new type of average speed camera mentioned by Andrew Gabriel ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't think any of the fines stay local any more. The police used to run hidden cameras when the "safety cameras" were in full swing.

Reply to
dennis

A friend's wife asked why they were using average speed cameras.Couldn't they afford good ones? Oh dear

Reply to
Stuart Noble

They probably keep the money local by selling speed awareness courses rather than issuing fines whenever possible

Reply to
Andy Burns

Any attempt to make the fines local should be resisted as hard as possible. Once they are local, there is incentive - as happens in the US - for the cops to start indulging in legalised banditry.

Reply to
Tim Streater

:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Unless they have changed the rules again single camera "gatso" type devices or temporary/mobile cameras have to have speed camera signage before them at specificed distances/sizes etc dependant on road and camera sign and speed limit sign as well. The cameras themselves are also supposed to be visible, which means the front and back have had hi-viz stuck on them.

This is a new form of speed camera measuring average speed. Works fine on motorway and or similar roads with no junctions, traffic lights etc. People just pop cruise on at the specified speed and bowl along.

But in a section of road with a nominal 40 mph limit and a set of traffic lights that hold you up. If your average speed across those lights and section of road is 40 mph you *must* have been exceeding the speed limit. But they can't prove by how much (was it 2 mph over all the way or 20 mph over for 50yds, the penalties are very different), when (only sometime between your entry and exit times of the road section or where (only the road section).

There must be more to this than meets the eye, some new offence?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

According to

Did you know? Vectors cameras that are NOT yellow are normal ANPR cameras. Only the yellow ones are used for speed enforcement.

They also say that other uses of Vector cameras include

Bus lane enforcement ?Level crossings ?Red light enforcement ?Yellow box violations ?Tolling ?Access control ?Congestion charging ?Parking management

Reply to
Chris B