Camera: the mending of

Got an Olympus X-775 7.1mp digital camera, and it's f***ed. Tried batteries in it last week and it was acting up (it's not been used since last Sept) - it was as if the batteries were dead, soooo I got some new duracell and it's the same.

When batts are installed, the lens pops out and nothing happens - all the buttons do nothing, but the lens keeps going in and out on it's own until it goes off after a minute.

Read online that it could have got moisture inside and that it needed to be split to allow it to dry, so six tiny screws were removed and it was left on the mantelpiece for a few days, put it back together and it's still the same, any ideas anyone?, I'm loathe to buy a new on on account of being a tight cunt.

TIA

Reply to
Phil L

crossposted to sci.electronics.repair

Reply to
NT

crossposted to sci.electronics.repair

Next time you go to a poor country, take your broken camera with you. I had my Olympus OM10 fixed in Bolivia for 8 US dollars.

Alternatively, why not use the camera, with its inny and outty lens thing, as a novel sex toy?

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Simply opening up the camera and letting it sit is not going to dry it out.

You need to put it in a warm place, in a bag with silica gel or rice for a few days. That might fix it.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Yes, I've heard that many a time as being the cause of those particular symptoms - either dirt in the mechanism, damaged gears, or whatever mechanism it uses to detect that the lens is fully extended isn't working (I don't know if they're typically a simple limit switch, or some sort of servo type affair so it knows exactly how far the lens is extended).

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson