Calling Transco

If you call in Transco to see if you have a gas leak, what will they do? I have been given the impression that they will just come and cut you off and leave.
--
Gordon

Basically! Unless its a fault at their end. They will slap a sign on your supply or device telling you not to use it. Basically it covers their arse if you decide to use it and all hell blows up!
--
Regards

SantaUK

That's about it. But presumably you do *want* to know which side of the gas tap the leak is ?
--

Mail john rather than nospam...

gordon wrote:

Yes! That's what happened to me on the coldest day of the year. I knew where the leak was because I had caused it. They were useless, had no idea how to fix leak in cast iron pipe and had no tools anyway. I fixed the leak myself and called them back next day to test and restore the supply.
So if you know where your leak is fix it yourself if you are "competent", or get independent Corgi guy into do it.

Interesting - how much did they charge for this?
Darren
BillR wrote:

If the leak is really obvious and easy to find - i.e. you have located it yourself before hand you _might_ find they fix it for you provided: 1) You acknowledge that they are doing you a favour way beyond their call of duty. 2) The leak is really easy to fix - like removing a dead branchg of pipework or tighteneing a screwed joint. 3) You are lucky.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

been more helpful. Gas man crawled under the floor, fixed leak and left all smiles. I had thought this was the norm, to encourage consumers to report gas leaks without fear of disconnection. It was in the Scottish Gas area.
--
fred

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 20:05:39 +0100, Ed Sirett wrote:

From Transco's web site "the emergency service provided by Transco under the terms of its Licence doesn't cover repairs to appliances or installation pipework which can't be completed within 30 minutes" So presumably, if the Transco guy doesn't think he can find and fix the fault in 30 minutes (presumably that includes getting gear out of the van, etc), he won't even start and will just disconnect.
snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com says...

I called them at 7PM one Sunday evening. The guy turned up twenty minutes later, ran some tests in the room where we could smell gas (where the boiler is, although the smell had dissipated by the time he arrived), ran a test next door (who could also smell it but decided to do nothing), then he checked the meter, checked every other room, and left having found nothing wrong. He even checked the pipework on the boiler and the feed from under the floor up to the boiler.
I was mighty impressed, I can tell you.
--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk /

If the leak is on 'your' side of the meter, would you expect them to repair your property?
--
*Income tax service - Weve got what it takes to take what you've got.