Calling TMH, Impact Bits

Hi Dave,

I know you are a fan of the impact driver for your decking work. Any thoughts, experiences on Pz2 bits for the driver?

I reckon I've gone through 100 ish Makita bits and 50 odd (some other cheap brand I can't remember bits). As you probably well know, bits have a habit of shattering under the workload of an impact driver.

My local hire shop used to have tubs of the Makita PZ2 50mm on the counter, I'd pick up a tub as and when I felt the need. I *thought* I was going through Makita bits quickly until I bought this other brand. I've still got some of this other brand left but they're so bad I've taken to keeping screws in one side of my pouch and bits in the other :-(

I'll be running out very soon :-(

Anyway, I've found someone selling tubs of 50 x Pz2 50mm at a sensible price, just wondered (before I order them) if you know of a better option? I don't fancy trying them all until I find a good 'un!

TIA Someone

Reply to
somebody

I use fairly cheap bits, last lot from Wickes about £3 for 20. Never had one shatter ever.

I reckon the 'better quality' bits are far too hard - I've had them shatter in drill drivers, let alone impact drivers. Especially the gold coloured ones.

Using the Wickes el cheapos I just change them at first sign of cam out & use maybe 4 on a deck - 1200 screws?

My local Screfix had some DeWalt ones on offer last week, about £5 a box. These seem fine, but I since gone over to an autofeed screwdriver which now does the bulk of the work, the impact driver just doing odd & ends.

I reckon cheap & chuck is the way to go. Last time I looked in Wickes they didn't have the cheap bits, only sets of three gold ones, I'd try the Screwfix/DeWalt ones - can't find them on the site, they had loads on the counter last time I went in.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

With the harder bits you have to take great care to control any rattle in the screw head - get sloppy and they shatter. Careful control of the speed helps as well - try and ramp up and down the power rather than going for digital control.

I tend to use short Wiha bits in a bit holder in mine. Last time I did a bunch of 2" twinthread 10 gauge screws (a few hundred) - I probably broke about 3 or four bits.

I have noticed that the screw makes a difference as well - the twinthreads take more driving and have a higher attrition rate than gold screws (having said that they drive in half the time).

Lower power impact drivers are also less likely to kill bits as quickly.

Reply to
John Rumm

Similar experience with a chipboard floor turned me off Wiha bits. I think they are probably great for more precision driving in the workshop, but less good for the on site productio line jobs.

Could that be stated as Quicksilver v Turbogold?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I started using them (and other similar hard coated bits) before the impact driver - and found they were noticeably better for power driving than some bits. Much better grip and less tendency to cam out.

Sometimes its just a case of finding a bit that fits your favoured brand of screw really well.

With the impact driver the result are a bit different. Use soft steel bits and they won't shatter, but you can reduce them to a useless pointy thing with no useful edges quite easily,

Yup.

After your previous comments about not breaking bits I thought I would try some turbogold to see if there was a difference. To which the answer seems to be yes. The turbogold drive more easily into wood, and will "pull in" tighter as well - which I suppose is to be expected. The quicksilver seem to work better (or maybe just quicker) into wall plugs.

Reply to
John Rumm

Turbogold have self drilling tips, I would think they churn up plastic plugs quite well. I haven't done any tests but I bet they reduce the extraction force by a lot. I don't use them in plugs.

Reply to
dennis

I haven't tested either, but I think you are definately right - I reckon they cut into the plug rather than expand it. I use turbogold in wood & quicksilver in plugs.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Got a catalogue from ITS London, big tool shop in Leytonstone. They list the DeWalt bits here

catalouge, worth having. Lots of good deals & unusual items.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Look identical to the Screwfix ones - which I bought. Think they were cheaper (for one box) - 5-99 ? Can't see them on web - were they shop only?

I quite like the 50mm ones from Axminster. Can't say they are earth shattering but I find the length is sometimes very convenient.

Reply to
Rod

Good Point Dennis! I'd not really considered that before but I'm sure you are right.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

>>> Good catalouge, worth having. Lots of good deals & unusual items. >>

I reckon they must be.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The drilling tip should only clear a hole large enough for the shank and not the threads, so I would expect them to still hold quite well in a plug.

Reply to
John Rumm

He's a late convert, years and years after some people. It was distinctly awkward being someone who used one and recognised their fabulousness when about the only other person who had obviously experienced one was Drivel.

I've had mixed success over the 6/7 years or so I've been using one - the top-end gold/diamond wera/wiha stuff definitely doesn't work- they do shatter too easily as TMH says. I've had a few cheapo dewalt/makita tic-tac boxes which have lasted pretty well - given that each box of

20 or whatever is under a tenner, you can afford to have them let go now and then. But seemingly randomly, other boxes are just hopeless. On of the W companies sells impact specific bits (scrwefix) and I tried those - pretty impressed, much much better than anything else for longevity. Cost/longevity ratio is a bit more tricky, I never count.
Reply to
boltmail

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

[snip]

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that, I had also gone the 'cheap & chuck' way but was shocked at how many I was chucking :-( Maybe it was the real el cheapo bits I was using. Seriously, I was throwing them away because they shattered, never because they wore out.

To the various other posters - thankyou too. I hadn't thought about the different screws that I'm using and how they affect the bits. In the last few days I've been having a laugh with some 'shed type' 4" screws which rattle and bend and have no head left - but don't shatter the bits! Wierd :-) I reckon its a balance between hardness of the screws versus hardness of the bits? I have no idea to be honest but will give it some thought / monitoring.

I've since found a source of some reasonably priced Makita bits. I used to use them (when the hire shop stocked them) and I think they're probably the middle ground for me.

I'll let you all know how I do or don't get on with them!

In the meantime, this little baby has been reponsible for 20 ish bits, maybe more, could even be 30 or 40 :-(

it is all screwed together, not a nail in sight but that is still a lot of bits to go through.

Cheers Someone

Reply to
somebody

Even if its £30 worth of bits, that fairly small beer compared to the cost of the timber I am sure.

Reply to
John Rumm

My experience of cheap bits is that they start to cam out as they wear. As soon as they start to do so, I change them, so I've never had one shatter. Maybe they would if I hadnt changed them?

Could be. I only use three types of screw; quicksilver for plugs, turbogold for wood & decking screws. Quicksilver are easy to chew the recess, turbogold much less likely,

Ooh that is lurvely!!!! Your new workshop?

Hmmm. Boarding a deck (prior to the autofeed) with say 2000 screws (hence the autofeed) would have knocked out maybe 6 cheap bits?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman