Call back number

When I used to want to test a home phone installation there was a number you could call , then put the handset down and the number would ring you back proving the line etc.

It must be old age but I can't remember the number , can anyone help please ?

Sam

Reply to
Sam Farrell

1475, the call will ring, answer with a fax-like sound then hangup on you - wait and it will ring back (deletes last called info on 1471) if you withold your number you will need to add 1470 first.
Reply to
Lino expert

Dial 17070 and select "ring back test" from the menu read out after it announces the number you acre calling from.

Reply to
John Rumm

Reply to
Sam Farrell

It didn't offer me a ring-back test. Or announce the number I was calling from.

Reply to
Huge

Service provider dependent.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

BT.

Reply to
Huge

I used to use 1741, and on my exchange it rang back and repeated the number called from.

Reply to
JTM

Caller ID withheld?

Release with 1470 so dial 1470 17070, it should then announce the line number and offer option 1 as ring back.

Option 2 of quiet line test is useful if you are having trouble with noise on the line, particularly if intermittent as you can record the disclosed line number followed by noise on the quiet line test for when BT can't find the fault & try to charge you for a visit.

Options 3 & 4 are restricted to line techs only.

Reply to
fred

Ahh, of course! D'uh!

Reply to
Huge

Easily done ;-) (from experience)

Reply to
fred

Done it, and it works great, again many thanks

Reply to
Sam Farrell