call a phone when its o the hook

I think that involved an oscillator, a pair of croc clips and an engineer to connect it to the frame.

Reply to
Graham.

Best for this application is IKEA's "Family Mobile".

UK calls 8p /min, texts 4p.

Get £10.00 to "recommend a fiend" (Not me !)

Set the family up in a serial fashion and collect all the tenners :-))

Credits (& Sims) last indefinitely. (Allegedly)

Derek G.

--

This Looks like Finito Ruperto.

Reply to
Derek G.

Reply to
Huge

connect it to the frame.

No - it was automatic, and could additionally be applied by an operator or a test-desk engineer.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

As this is the diy newsgroup, how about making a box with a relay in it which only lets the line stay open for a limited time after it stops detecting audio, with a seperate ringer?

Reply to
John Williamson

Interesting - I wasn't aware of Ikea's mobile offering.

Reply to
S Viemeister

means even if she does this. I can still call

only lets the line stay open for a limited time

Yes, the box would have to go before the internal wiring so the relay could switch out anything in an off-hook condition. It could operate after seeing a line voltage of less than (say) 30v for more than (say) 90 min. The unit would contain a hands-free telephone with auto-answer.

At one min intervals if the handsfree was not in use the box would briefly close its relay contacts, if line voltage detected was above 30v it would return to its dormant condition.

Reply to
Graham.

It runs on T- Mobile according to the website, for that reason alone I would probably use GiffGaff instead (O2).

Reply to
Graham.

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Graham." saying something like:

connect it to the frame.

The frame in Gitmo?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That's what I use, especially for daytime calls to geographic numbers and mobiles because it comes out cheaper than the BT landline. But you do have to make at least one call every 3 months otherwise they suspend the account, but they do email you in advance to remind you to make a call and you can re-activate a suspended account within the following 3 months.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Don't quote me on this but AFAIAA they dont actually do it.

I've just tried 3 handsets unused for 1 year++ including one not in service in a GPS beacon, and 2 more not yet in service 'till their contracts expire. All three can make calls.

Early on I did get the 3 months emails but I don't even get them now.

It could be I'm of more use to IKEA as a customer with a live account so they can email me occasionally with offers

Kid-ology ???

Derek G.

--

This Looks like Finito Ruperto.

Reply to
Derek G.

Interesting. I opened an account about a year ago when they had a free SIM offer. I didn't use it for a while because I was waiting until I'd used up all the PAYG credits on my existing Virgin account and in due course I got my 3 month email which prompted me to make a call to keep it alive. I was assuming that they would have suspended the account if I didn't use it but I can well believe that they don't really bother.

But the T&C's do enable them to do this so it might be a bit risky to depend on it.

Reply to
Mike Clarke