Calculator for cutting lengths of wood

Im looking for a calculator or a formula or something that will work out the cheapest (least amount of lengths) way to cut lengths of 2.4m wood

The wood comes in lengths of 2.4m and i have to cut various sizes i.e.

6 lengths at 1219mm 6 lengths at 737mm 12 lengths at 303mm 8 lengths at 481mm
  • a few more

The wood is quite expensive so obviously the least amount of scrap the better. Is there a web page or a good way to calculate it out?

TIA

Doug

Reply to
Douglas

Try this, posted here in the past, did you try google?

Dave Liquorice

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

the full version is $50 :((

Reply to
me

Works for me, old bookmark so I checked it before posting and just now. Not often a site

Or less than =A330, if it does what it says it does that would seem a very good spend of =A330. But I guess one would really need to be doing =

lots of projects using sheet materials rather than stock timber.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Good idea. I've always done it by hand, its not hard, but a program would certainly save some time.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

works Ok here now :)

Reply to
me

Might not work in some particular cases, but theres a reliable general rule of thumb: you start with the longest or largest sectioned piece first, and cut it out of the smallest or shortest piece available. A programme would also tell you that more or less, because allowance has to be made for unnoticed defects so even if you had a completely worked out cutting schedule you might have to change it if a piece turns out to be sub-standard. So in your case you start with all he 1219 lengths and just keep on working your way down, always cutting from the shortest length in the pile. The bigger and more diverse the cutting list the more likely this rule will be efficient.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob