Cad type drawing

Hi, I am looking for drawing/CAD software, preferably free but willing to pay if it does the job which I can pass on. I have been asked to upgrade 20 year old machines electrical panels, I have the latest drawings for the current systems but these are on a quite large backing plate compared to the somewhat smaller area I have to work with on the old machines. I have the dimensions for the components in the latest incarnations and I need to be able to input scaled sizes of items and be able to rotate and move them around to get the best layout fit. Anybody come across any software in 2D where I can do this, already tried Qcad, smart draw and the rs system but I need a short learning curve as time is limited.

Barry

Reply to
Corporal Jones

If 2D is ok I quite like Draftsight for the PC. Which is free. But since I far prefer ProCAD+ on this old Acorn machine, it could be because it is similar. So dunno how easy it is to learn from scratch. I'd guess none really are. But are well worth the effort.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I use Inkscape. It isn't a 'CAD' package but a generic vector graphics package. Just set up the grid to an appropriate scale and then draw as if cm were metres, or whatever it might be. You can easily numerically resize shapes (eg rectangles) and their placement, so it's straightforward to make things of given sizes in accurate places.

I've never got on with CAD packages that mimic the terrible AutoCAD interface (along with Stockholm syndrome cries of 'but it's the industry standard!') but for 2D you don't need that. I do a lot of laser cutting where accurate drawing is important, and Inkscape is fine.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

+1 I have used Inkscape to draw a cutting guide for a piece of metal - stuck it on with double sided sticky tape and cut along the lines with a dremel.

With a little care, dimensions can be made exact.

I occasionally use Cycas but as you say, the interface is putrid.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Corel draw for 2D and Rhino CAD for 3D

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sketchup , if the items are standard industrial elctrical likely to find components in 3D warehouse very similar.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Although not free, Visio is very good, and well supported by third party libraries of symbols.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for all your input. Downloaded Inkscape and after 10 mins of digging around in it I was able to produce what I want.

I do like uk.d-i-y long may it last

Barry

Reply to
Corporal Jones