Cables under edge of carpet?

Any forseeable problems with laying some smallish (speaker & subwoofer) cables under the carpet, at the edge?

Between the gripper and the wall/skirting, or inside the gripper, potentially leaving a gap in the underlay?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

No. often done it this way.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

not really, as long as its not underrated causing a fire risk.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Fire risk from speaker cables? Really?

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

it is JUST possible :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I suppose it depends whether the OP has a 15W HIFI with efficient speakers (my dad had a 25W system with 15W speakers and you needed the /10 button in all the time or it blew your face off)

or

a 1000W ear-buster gig rated system?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Perhaps if you were to light a match and apply it to one end of the cable...

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Well a flat out 400W RMS system into 4ohms is pushing 10 amps RMS.

you might get a piece of bell wire to catch fire at that level.

I've certainly seen loudspeaker voice coils at least smouldering..at those sorts of levels, in my time.

A colleague once recounted how, when he worked at Marshall's, they got a cabinet so badly damaged that the only decent thing to do was to remove the front grille and apply the mains to the whole assembly. It was interesting for almost a second before the loudspeakers self destructed

- what was left of them, anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, unless your name is Hammond, and the installation is in a garden shed, I wouldn't worry very much.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

It could be a *very* powerful amp....

Reply to
Chris Bartram

If you care about sound quality, you'll be using speaker cable selected for its low resistance, which will make its current carrying capability way in excess of anything the amp can deliver. 2.5mm at least would be normal for a 100 watt amp.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)