Cable type for 12V garden lights

My requirement for extra low voltage (12VAC) garden cabling is as follows:

Cores: 2 (red and black, or similar but not blue and brown), flexible. Rating: 6A (max) @ 12V AC Conductor resistance: 0.012 ohms per metre max. Sheath: Suitable for outdoor use (e.g. polyethylene, rubber?)

Pro-Power manufacture a speaker cable

which is 62p/metre and has the right electrical ratings. However, it has a PVC sheath which might not take too kindly to puddles (being hygroscopic) or UV.

Can anyone kindly suggest an alternative source, please?

Reply to
denbigh1974

On 14 Sep 2005 16:49:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com scrawled:

OOI, where did all these very exact raqndom specifications come from?

Well, anything 12V at my house is sort of lashed in with anything conductive. I am a fully qualified and time served electrical contractor though!

Local electrical wholesaler. Depending on the exact application then either some UV stabilised flexible cables or any cable of the correct CSA run in conduit would do the job.

Reply to
Lurch

I invented them. Started with the premise that garden lighting cable should be identifiable, weatherproof and low resistance.

My wholesalers (WF Electrical and Edmundson Electrical) just boggle when I say UV-stabilised. Some rubber-sheathed flex with the old non-harmonised colours would be good if I could get it in 4mm=B2

Reply to
denbigh1974

Really? I had no idea.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

No one told you red and black is obsolete and getting hold of it nowadays is like finding hens teeth?

Where did you get the bit about PVC being hygroscopic? Perhaps we should tell all the big cable manufacturers to stop using it for all the miles of cable which is in use underground all over the world. UV isn't normally a problem for colours other than translucent or very pale shades. Black is to be preferred.

I'd suggest you go ahead with what you have found. Enclose in a protective tube if you arent convinced its mechanically strong enough

Reply to
John

(part A1TW004BK) or
(part 838833)

Reply to
Pandora

ITYF that most underground cable is sheathed with polyethylene.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Only for mains 240V, he is using 12Volts. Black and red still used in cars etc for 12 volts.

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

On 15 Sep 2005 01:10:52 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com scrawled:

Oddly enough I had the same respomse today when I asked for some UV stabilised flex to wire a replacememt float switch in a garden bowser with. I got told they have "some rubbery sort of stuff", which may or may not have been the stuff so I skipped that one.

CPC might be worth a look?

Reply to
Lurch

Standard PVC armoured cable is designated as PVC/PVC/SWA/PVC - Doesn't make mention of anything other than PVC and Steel Wire Armouring on the conductors.

YMMV

Reply to
John