cable trays for domestic electric wiring

trawling uk.d-i-y there was a reference to electrical cable trays.
Does anyone know what they look like, how you fit them (under joists or alnog walls etc?),how to use them (eg does the cable clip in), where to buy them etc, please? Presumably they are suitable for standard 1.0mm2 & 2.5mm2 etc?
many thanks for any info.
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 05:18:49 -0800, the yorkshire dalesman wrote:

I think that was my OP. Cable tray comes in lenghts of about 3 metres and is made from slatted steel, ali or plastic. It is intended to run either hori or vert and the cables are strapped or clipped to it using cable ties or the normal swa clips. Its intended to provide support for larger cables ie swa or similar which have to run along walls or suspended from girders etc. You get it from any Electrical wholesaler who supplies electricians. Most is about 6 - 9 inchs wide. My original comment was on using it to strap domestic fixed wiring to, leading into a domestic C U, to keep the cables supported and tidy. Fixings for trays are also available from wholesalers inc angles, supports etc.
Hope this helps
Dave

I use plastic ones which came out of 19" racks for my data stuff. Very hard to describe - they're a sort of spider with the legs tucked underneath. You screw them to the wall or whatever on their backs, and the cables click under the legs. They're about 8" long and 3" high. You can easily get 30 or 40 drop cables into them.

Try:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Tray_Index/Cable_Tray/index.html
They are intended for screwing to walls or ceilings (with spacers) or assembling from cable gantries suspended above equipment. Cable are usually held by Tywrap (tm) but you can also get plastic saddles with a rubber clip.
Andrew Mawson