cable sleeving

Hello,

As you will know, rather than run brown/brown twin and earth to light switches, sometimes brown/blue twin and earth cable is used and the blue wire has to have a brown sleeve or brown tape on it, to show it is in fact live.

I was looking at TLC's 3mm brown sleeving; the description says it is suitable for 1.0mm and 1.5mm cables. I presume this is shorthand for

1.0mm^2 and 1.5mm^2 cable?

However, I wonder whether it is only suitable for *bare* 1.5mm^2 cable? I have just tried some 3mm earth sleeving and it will not fit over the insulation.

What size do I need instead?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I just wrap a bit of this round the blue.

Reply to
pcb1962

I mean a bit of this:

pcb1962

tidier.

Reply to
Stephen

And won't peel of after a few years.

Reply to
Andy Burns

4mm will do for 1 and 1.5mm insulated.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks. The TLC description says 3mm will do, but I have some 3mm earth sleeving at that won't fit over the insulated 1.5mm^2 cable. Have they got their page wrong? I didn't want to buy 4mm in case it was too loose but you have reassured me.

Thanks.

Reply to
Stephen

It probably would with a drop of lubrication.

If it is easy to slip on it will fall off just as readily, I'm afraid. So remember to bend up the cable after fitting it if not connecting right away.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What do you recommend? I haven't lubricated cables before and would not know what would attack the insulation or what would conduct the electricity!

Reply to
Stephen

Wahing up liquid.

MICKY