Cable size

So what are the bad things of induction over halogen?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The lack of anything bright on the hob - you get used to seeing a redness on the hottest rings. In reality, purely psychological. There is an indicator lamp which comes on when rings are hot and that is actually more useful than the red glow.

The need to use magnetic pans only.

The slight buzzy sounds you get - I don't mind them but some might. And the fan - which can be annoying but not too bad.

The purchase cost.

Reply to
polygonum

See my other post I hated that from the halogen. B-)

Used to that with electric hobs for the last 10+ years. B-)

Not a great problem some of our pans are suitable but not all.

Those might be. Presumably the buzzy sound is pan vibrating against hob rather than sounds from the hob itself.

That's the big putter offer, don't want to spend that sort of money on something I'm not going to get on with. Hence wanting to play with one first, fairly sure an induction hob will past the milk test but not so sure about the thick sweet sauce test.

The big problem with most electric hobs is the full on full off PWM control, the peak temperatue during the on pulse, even on the lowest setting, is far too high. Do induction rings work on the full on full off PWM with fairly long switching times or do they have a linear control or much faster PWM switching that emulates a linear control?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

IIRC, Miele have a customer test kitchen in Windsor. You don't need to buy a Miele to use it ...

Reply to
Huge

Some of the buzzy sound comes from the actual pans.

Far, far, far more controllable. Turn it up a bit, and the pan follows almost instantly. And, most importantly, vice versa. It does take a little getting used to - but that would be the case with any replacement regardless of technology.

The combination of induction hob and better-insulated oven has had a noticeable impact on electricity bills. :-) Impossible to quantify but definitely lower.

Kitchen is cooler. Which is a real advantage in summer.

If you start a pan on one burner, you can move it to another without much of an issue. I was making some soup (hence delay in reply) - frying off some curry, more convenient to stir on a front burner. Then needed to heat up the bulk of liquid so moved it onto a larger, more powerful, rear burner. You don't do that with any of the other electric hobs because of the wasted heat and time to heat the other ring up.

Why not try one of the cheapies from,e.g., Lidl? Not as powerful but would give a taste. And might be useful as future extra-burner-for-Christmas or whatever. Or ebay?

Reply to
polygonum

You can get a single portable for about 30 quid occasionally (Aldidle perhaps. I got a couple from Netto)

Set the time or temp you want and it just works. If you boil a teaspoon (steel spoon) of liquid you don't heat up a

6 or 8 > The slight buzzy sounds you get - I don't mind them but

I find the 'hum' and fan too loud on the single portable and I wonder if a built in transmits less sound?

John

Reply to
JTM

Rather a long way from the North Pennines. B-)

But maybe there is another a bit closer. looks at Miele site, nope the map of "Miele showrooms located near you" has Abingdon and London.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You may have to buy new pans. And they are expensive. But they are more efficient.

Reply to
harry

Nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide are the other products. Both can cause asthma/emphesemia.

Reply to
harry

As John Rumm said - diversity. For a cooker the fuse you need is >= 10A + ((full load of cooker - 10A) x 0.3).

So a 12kW cooker can draw 12000/230 = 52.17 Amps. And 10 + ((52.17 - 10) x

0.3)) = 22.65 Amps. And you have to add another 5 amps if the cooker switch has a socket.
Reply to
ARW

Ah, the reason why I keep meaning to sign up to a cooking group.

We used to have a conduction type ceramic. Slow as treacle, but easy to keep clean. We've had gas for 15 years or so, and my mum has halogen.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

So no-one ever puts all the rings on at once? 30% seems remarkably low. (The idea of diversity on a ring main, which might have one heater, and angle grinder, and a dozen assorted chargers makes more sense)

However... if that's what they say, that's what we can do. I assume that a hob-and-oven is treated as one unit? It will certainly be used as one.

Thanks everyone

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

The strands as a bunch.

Well, the fuse is 30A, and the cooker... oh. Right. You covered that one already :)

I must admit the 100A feed into the box with no switch does make me a little nervous. I like to turn these things off.

I'm pretty sure there are no odd earth leaks, nor on the live side. I don't of course know whether there are cross links on neutral - in fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised to fine one in the lighting which has a

3-way switch controlling the outside light, hall light and landing light.

Thanks again

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Does it matter if the electric new cooker does not fit where the old gas cooker was:-(

Reply to
ARW

Be easier to measure one strand, work out its area and then multiply up. Saves guessing on the wasted space in the bundle.

The normal solution is to pull the main fuse.

Reply to
John Rumm

The rings are thermostatically controlled though - so even with everything on at once, you won't be drawing the peak current - or at least not for long enough to trip the MCB (and you already know the MCB will protect the cable).

Well I have measured my (all electric) hob and oven running under "heavy load", and the reality is it rarely gets above 20A in use.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not in the least - with your neighbour... Or our generous offers to pass on 50mm gaps. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Strickly speaking it is illegal to do that. Not that the person that took some of the photos on here

a lot about such things and nor does anyone else TBH.

Reply to
ARW

Are they? They stay on full red if I put them on full power. the thermostatic bit is only there to vary the duty cycle when lower power settings are being used.

I suppose some hobs could have thermostatic temperature control but by no means all do.

Why would that be? just the limited size of the pans so they boil over or do you have some other mechanism in mind?

Reply to
dennis

Both of which are gases so aren't going to be "deposited all over the kitchen".

Agreed niether are good for you but I doubt the level produced from the =

normal use of a gas hob are any worse than the levels on the street in any big city...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice