Cable scanner

I need to cut one unused cable out of a bunch of similarly looking Ethernet cables.

I have access to both ends of all cables, including the cable I need to cut

I should not cut any used cable, only the unused one but at the point of the cut I don't know which one is the unused one.

I have seen BT engineers solve this problem by connecting something like a signal emitter at one end of the cable and then use a pickup tool that emits a sound when close to the cable that has the emitter connected.

Can someone point me to where I can find this product?

Also, is there a cheaper way to do this without buying that emitter and pickup?

Thanks,

Antonio

Reply to
asalcedo

Try an guitar amp with cable pluuged into ext speakers, and a guitar pickup waved near the cabe. when it squeals it's the one you want.

Or put a car battery across it The smoky smelly one is the one to remove.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Simple. Connect one of the wire pairs together then use a multimeter set to the low ohms or continuity range to find the short circuit at the other end of the cable.

Reply to
Graham.

usually called a tone and trace.

You can probably hire them.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

HI Maplin do a nice one (got one myself) known to them as a bt 'tone tester' . Mind you a cheeper way is to short out one end of the unused cable and look for a short ,with a multimeter set on ohms,at the other.

HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

So he knows which cable is the unused one at each end fine but I have a =

feeling the OP want to know which that cable is somewhere in between the= two ends.

A cheap solution for the "tone & probe" is CPC part no: IN04456 =A339.95= + VAT or choose one of the kits from:

a tone and probe is probably the only way to accuratly determine whi= ch cable is the unsused one in a bundle. When you think you have the right =

cable tease it away from the others to make sure, you can mislead yourse= lf unless you are careful.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I need to know in between the tw ends and the Tone and Probe kit is what I needed.

Regards,

Ant> > --

Reply to
asalcedo