Cable IDs

I would like to put some cable IDs on 2.5 and 1.0T&E (ie on the external cable - not on internal conductors). Ideally I would like to put numbered "rings" on - I've been browsing the various sites but can't find anything big enough. There are obviously loads of "tie on/write it on yourself" types - but I want something which will look the d's bs.

Any suggestions?

(Went in RS today to buy some bits - asked for a catalogue and came home with a full boxed set of 5 - an awful lot of light reading ;-)

Reply to
Peter Ramm

But how would you write the text on the fur?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Commonly self adhesive strip in different colours with the number repeated along it - 555555555 - etc.

You get better looking clip on plastic numbers - but I've not seen them suitable for TW&E.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

for cable markers.

But you have to buy 100 off each number. And the tapered tool.

Reply to
David Lawson

"Ian Stirling" wrote | Peter Ramm wrote: | > There are obviously loads of "tie on/write it on yourself" | > types - but I want something which will look the d's bs. | But how would you write the text on the fur?

Shave and tattoo.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Peter Ramm" wrote | I would like to put some cable IDs on 2.5 and 1.0T&E (ie on | the external cable - not on internal conductors). Ideally | I would like to put numbered "rings" on - I've been browsing | the various sites but can't find anything big enough. | There are obviously loads of "tie on/write it on yourself" | types - but I want something which will look the d's bs. | Any suggestions?

Brother make a range of gorgeous little labelling machines that print on a variety of tapes. The print is sealed within the tape so it's scratch- and fade-resistant. That's what the pro's use. (But the pro's can get their tapes on expenses. There is an ongoing cost to using a labelling machine.)

Alternatively, a sheet of labels through the computer printer with some clear plastic book-cover (or wide sellotape) over them.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

anything/everything.

IIRC they start at about 20 quid. I think this must be the current range:

Vortex

Numbered rings are not normally used for this, instead markers are placed on a carrier and the carrier is then attached to the cable with two cable ties. Take a look in the RS catalogue for Ovalgrip LFH Cable Markers or take a look at the RS website, under Cable and Connectors / Cable Accessories / Markers / Markers and select the second page and look for it there. I can only see the markers there, but the picture shows the carrier, so you'll know what to look for. but I don't know where to find it!

Steve W

Reply to
Steve Walker

I find a biro writes very well on the PVC sheath.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Biro, just write on the cable, works better with white cable.

Or masking tape, wrap it round, and stick it to itsself.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper
[14 lines snipped]

Viking do excellent "self sealing" laminating pouches. I made my race car numbers with them.

Reply to
Huge

The other way is to do something neat that you like on your computer, print it out, stick it in place and cover with clear heat shrink sleeving.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The already-mentioned Brother label printer (or similar) with clear heatshrink sleeving over makes a nice job.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Many thanks for responses - I'm going to give the "print out on PC" and clear heat shrink sleeving a go.

Reply to
Peter Ramm

Longevity of various PC printing methods varies widely. As does performance under damp. If you think that inkjet stuff may get even slightly damp, then some sort of clear lacquer on the paper may be a good idea to help mitigate bleeding.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Certainly ink jet colours change quite quickly even when laminated. Is laser any better?

But black print should say legible for quite a long time?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The labels from my brother p-touch do fade. I've used (orginal brother supplies) black print on white and blue print on white tapes. This has happened to both labels outside and in direct daylight and (to a lesser extent) to labels I've printed for folders inside.

You can still read the labels of course, but they have faded.

Reply to
Peter

Black from inkjets can degrade, especially older models.

The longest would probably be something like dot-matrix with carbon black ink, on acid free paper.

For laser, I don't really know. It's going to be better than at least some inkjets, and if kept out of the light should be pretty durable. I'd worry about ink bleeding, even when laminated on inkjets over long periods (20 years plus). If laminated laser should be at least legible for a century.

Reply to
Ian Stirling