Cable gland confusion

I'm putting together an order for PVC conduit and the array of glands confuses me. For instance how would this gland be used?

It doesn't seem to be related to a particular conduit size unlike

and

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

You'd use that to lead a flexible cord out of a conduit box.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

It is for allowing a flexible cable of a size between 7mm and 10.5mm to enter a box with a 20mm hole.

I'm a bit concerned that if you didn't know what this was for, should you be using this sort of kit at all?

Reply to
charles

It's for use in a round hole (with an additional backnut), to clamp a cable with a circular outer sheath of the size specified.

You can't use it directly with a plastic BESA (conduit) box as they are not threaded. Assuming it's a standard 20mm type (which it doesn't say), you could use it with a female threaded adapter in the end of a length of conduit (which can be a short stub if you want it going into a BESA box).

Again, assuming it's a standard 20mm type, you can use it with a 20mm steel BESA box, as they are threaded (and no backnut needed in that case).

Indeed, its description is inadequate (and the "22" in the part number worrying). A bit of googling for that part number finds the spec here:

which claims it's a 20mm part.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

What kind of box? A round BESA box or one of those square ones for sockets and switches.

It's the thread that confuses me. I wasn't aware anything except locknuts were threaded when using PVC conduit.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

Ah, I see. Is this the simplest way out of a BESA box or are there glands that can connect to one directly?

Thanks,

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

Well they do have it listed in the conduit section...

I am a bit concerned that you could not read this ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Depends on what you want out of it... for taking a flex out of a threaded box its fine:

For taking conduit out of box, then there are other connectors designed for the application. There are also some glands designed to take T&E profile cable.

Reply to
John Rumm

For a plastic BESA box, I don't know any other way (always seemed like an omission from the product range to me). You could use a small square plastic box with 20mm knockouts.

I've used steel BESA boxes when I've wanted to do this, but that's normally because I'm using an SWA gland and need to make an earth connection via the brass gland to the cable armour. A steel box will be stronger to act as an anchor for the cable gland too, if you expect any serious force on the cable. A PVC male threaded adapter would enable you to interface between PVC conduit and a steel BESA box. You would need to take care to explicitly earth the steel BESA boxes, as they are not earth bonded by PVC conduit. They use M4 brass screws for the internal earth terminal and lid screws.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'm wanting to connect the singles in a conduit to a bulkhead light fitting. The particular bulkhead [1] has no conduit entry, just a grommet at the rear through which a cable can enter while leaving the light IP44 rated.

My current thought is to exit a flex from the conduit via a weatherproof gland, run it a short distance to the fitting and slip it behind the fitting by removing a small amount of pointing (the fitting will be mounted on the same side of a brick wall as the conduit). I was going to join the singles to the flex in a round PVC BESA box so I'm trying to work out the simplest way to attach the gland to the box.

[1]

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

You may find the fitting has a rear mounting to allow it to screw directly onto a BESA box, albeit spacing it an extra 30mm off the wall (and you'll need a rubber BESA box lid seal).

Alternatively, there are versions of that classic bulkhead design which have direct 20mm knockouts for conduit connections. (Indeed, that one says it has, although I can't see it in the picture - would almost certainly be on the flat sides.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This might not be such a bad option. It hadn't occured to me you could mix the two kinds. Thanks.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

I've tried this but there's no sensible way to mount it [1]. I even considered using two BESA boxes and putting one screw in each, but that isn't very stable.

It does say that, doesn't it. :-P Let's just say I was quite surprised when it turned up [2]. The only reason I kept it was that the build quality was so much better than expected. The only one I've found online the definitely has side cable entry is butt ugly [3]. If you know of any others, I'm all ears!

[1]
[2]
[3]

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

They are all "stuffing glands" for flexible cable. They grip the cable and form a dust/insect seal.

They are available with male (with at thin nut) or female (with a "male bush") threads.

The threaded bit can screw into/onto conduit or they can be fitted to holes in thin metal (eg socket) boxes.

Reply to
harry

It does seem to say that, yes. Some of the reviews say otherwise though:

"This bulkhead has excellent build quality (solid, strong metal construction with a beautiful finish) but beware before buying: this bulkead has no side entry for cable or conduit. The only sensible way to wire this light is through the wall it is attached to. Make sure this is suitable for what you're planning. On the plus side, if that's what you were planning to do anyway, the light will be perfect as the rear cable entry is via a built-in grommet to maintain the water seal."

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

I wrote that review :-P

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

Lol, excellent :-). Good to have it confirmed then :)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

It makes it sound like it should be in the plumbing section:-)

Reply to
ARW

Classic. A link to a lightfitting supplied without a lamp (a bulb in TMH speak) that calls itself dimmable:-)

What are Screwfix thinking of?

Reply to
ARW

Ah, you need my patented electrical knockout hole finder... works every time:

;-)

Reply to
John Rumm