Cable Cutters

Not when the cable's plugged in, no.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

What's up wuth that? It's not sonething I do a lot of, nowadays, and the cut is very good. The inner and the outer can also easily be made "square ended".

Yup. A good test of your work, too, when soldering up motorcycle front brake cables...

That's great! I have found, unfortunately, that many made-up cables don't have proper nipples, they're just moulded barrels of white metal which splash off when you warm them.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

I've used one which happened to have a diamond disc in it to cut brake cables - does it a treat.

Reply to
Guy King

At its simplest...

You need a cold chisel, a steel plate at least half an inch thick, heavy hammer and a grind stone.

Cut both components and touch the ends onto the grindstone. Works every time for me :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Why not? It's even better than a bench grinder as cable ends can be cut in situ.

Any burring on brake outers can be removed with an HSS drill bit.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Pete C typed

Cos I don't have an angle grinder...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

The message from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

You're just not trying hard enough, Helen. Even Fran's got an angle grinder. A bigger one that mine, I might point out.

Reply to
Guy King