cable clips & fascia

I need to run a length of cable along some plastic fascia, will ordinary cable clips do or is there as special type I should use.

Reply to
ss

Could you push it through into the loft instead? If there are vent holes, maybe you can temporarily pop the insect grilles off and thread it inside the soffit?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

No, the cable is to link in another flood lamp and the cable I am taking the feed from is already outside.

Reply to
ss

I'd be worried that nailing into that might split it. Especially if it's been in the sun a while. Although you might get away with drilling holes and using those small pin plugs normally used for masonry.

You can get mini PVC trunking (the type with a lid) which you could glue in place.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And what is stopping you taking the cable into the facia at the starting point and then back out of the facia for the new lamp? Add a couple of the vent holes Andrew mentioned and rod the cable through the facia.

Reply to
ARW

I always use 1" x 4 screws with a pilot hole in the pvc. The hole in the clip normally needs enlarging too, but worth the effort IME

Reply to
stuart noble

The best advice is don't do it, because it looks bad. However if you must, the main question is what's inside the plastic. If it is just a plastic cover over wood (a refurb-type job) you can usually nail through the plastic with ordinary cable clips, or you might nned to replace the nails in the clips with longer ones. If the plastic is the type that is a white surface over a fawn plastic inner you can drill tiny pilot holes (0.7mm or less) and use No6 self tap screws. The countersunk heads will fit inside medium cable tie saddles. Don't use white ties because they rot in sunshine. If the fascia is hollow you might get away with the same holes and screws, if the plastic has a reasonably thick wall.

Could you hide the cable by putting it under the fascia on the soffit?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

If it must be external, then use uv resistant P clips and stainless steel screw. Screws that rust will leave a orange tell tale stain in time and look f'awful.

Reply to
Bob Minchin