Cable clips.

Was recently clipping some electrical cables to a bare brick-wall prior to it being plaster-boarded.

However, if I hammered the clips into the mortar, they just fell out again - the wall is ~70 years old. And try as I might, I could not get them to hammer into the brick.

What's the usual way of attaching these to a brick wall? Hammer into brick or mortar?

Thanks, Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

If they are Accrington Iron bricks, you'll struggle all day. I'd suggest eith drilling the brick or the mortar and using rawlplugs/plasplugs/whatever to drive the pin into.

Reply to
John

Usually go into the mortar. Try hammering them in at a slight angle.

Reply to
diy-newby

quoted text -

Try replacing the nails with longer ones.

-- JGH

Reply to
jgh

with a ring shank.

Reply to
Andy Burns

B&Q etc sell wall plugs specially for cable clips. Rather long winded but worth it IMHO. In B&Q you'll find the beside the cable clips rather than with the other wall plugs. You'll probably need a drill for them too - IIRC 5mm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

IIRC they are called PIN PLUGS £2.28 for 100 at B&Q, I bought some earlier this year, as I was also having problems getting nails to go in.

Reply to
Vernon

Or just drill a hole and pound a big 'splinter' of wood into the hole with a hammer until it breaks off. Like a mini version of groundings for skirting boards etc.

Reply to
Bolted

Hot melt glue. Just stick the cable to the wall and have done with it.

Reply to
Skipweasel

In article , Skipweasel writes

I used to do this but have stopped after having quite a few failures (in the bond), I think it's the plasticiser in the PVC sheath leeching and weakening the bond.

Reply to
fred

I found a variant of this worked well in my garage. Hammered some wire clips into the thermal blocks and they all fell out (no grip). Hammered matchsticks into the nail holes, and then hammered the clip nails into the matchsticks, and they've been solid ever since.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel