Cable clips.....

Set about installing a new external light at the rear of the house today. No problem until I get to the outside of the house, and I try and clip the cable to the wall.

I have tried and tried to get the clips to go in, but I reckon the mortar is more like reinforced concrete, the clips will only go halfway in before bending over. The clips I am using are from TLC-Direct,

in the past I have had no problems getting them into walls etc, but we have just moved house, and therefore into unknown territory.

Any suggestions or ideas??

thanks

Vernon

Reply to
Vernon

You can get from most electrical wholesalers, and perhaps B&Q plastic wall plugs for the cable clip nails.......

Reply to
James Salisbury

On Mon, 14 May 2007 18:39:52 GMT, "Vernon" mused:

There's a knack to it, but if you haven't got the knack then you can cheat by using plugs made for clips or by using smallish screws or nails and yellow or red plugs instead.

Reply to
Lurch

If they bend much without snapping, they aren't very hardened. Remember to use eye protection (if they are hardened).

I tend to tap them gently lots of times, rather than trying to get them in in a couple of blows.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Pin Plug, page 10:

't know where to order them online though)

Reply to
John Rumm

Tower do a pin wall plug P/N 55PP1 ...

I have some I suspect they are available in the bigger B&Qs

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

Thanks,

Got a large B&Q in town will take a look in the morning...........

Reply to
Vernon

Indeed I tried both methods, in both cases as you got about 4-5 mm into the wall, the sound changed and the things would just bend! Most annoying

Reply to
Vernon

Well done Sir - I had no idea that they did that comprehensive range

Reply to
mike

A tip someone once gave me was to nail them directly below a vertical course of mortar (rather than directly under a brick if you understand my meaning) - on the basis that the mortar has not been subject to weight as it set.

John

Reply to
John

No chance that you are nailing into a steel lintel under the screed, I suppose? That would do this every time. There must be some sort of material change for this to happen at a consistent depth - I'd do an investigatory drill to find out.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Yes. I find a heavy hammer - a club one - used in this way the most likely to succeed. Although it still requires a deal of skill if the material is hard. Using the special wallplugs makes life easy - if it's easy to drill at the location. But they're not that readily available - TLC etc don't seem to stock them anymore. I've often meant to look for a cable tie with screw fixing at a reasonable cost - this could have many such uses.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you find one, do let us know...I really need sometuing like that.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks guys,

Took a stroll around B&Q today, and in the electrical section along with the cable clips, they had the tower pin plugs. Job done. In answer to the above, there was nothing behind, just rock hard cement I guess, but drill went in ok.

Reply to
Vernon

Nice to know. Now all I need is an SDS bit in that size. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep. A far neater and quicker solution if you can't get clips in is to use some mini-trunking and drill, plug, screw every 18" or so.

When I was installing electronic time systems the flat-packed stuff which came rolled up in a box was used everywhere. R-S used to do it.

example. All seems to be self adhesive but you can just screw to the wall.

Just pull as much as you need out the box, cut to length (channel + lid rolled up as one) fold up, fix and clip the lid on.

The open ends of the trunk can be closed over by cutting the lid longer than the trunk, removing the "track" with a stanley knife and folding it over before clipping.

Both internal and external angles can be made in the same way so corners can also be made neatly.

Plus it keeps the elements off the cable (not that that's really a problem)

Just another idea as I have experienced walls many times where the brick is too hard and the mortar either too brittle or too soft for normal clips.

HTH Pete

--

Equipment & Fitness equipment in the UK

Reply to
gymratz

Found them in my local B&Q - thanks. But no indication of drill size needed on the box or plugs. They are just under 5mm in diameter but I'd guess need an interference fit. I was also surprised to find a 4mm SDS drill on sale - didn't think they did them that small. Perhaps it would be ideal?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Screwfix do them here:

look like the ones in the Tower catalogue already pointed to. I've used them on timber but never had an opportunity to try them in masonry.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

I'll note that. Currently out of stock though!

Reply to
Bob Eager

5mm Is the size indicated on the website. I did think they would have put that information on the box, no such luck .....
Reply to
Vernon