Cable clip tool ?

Have just installed a new antenna and have reminded myself that securing the coax downlead using cable clips (into brick) using a hammer takes skill, patience and more clips than clip locations. Is there a purpose designed tool for this job? which gets the hardened pin into the wall without shattering pin, mortar or brick? My neighbour's installation looks so neat with clips every few inches....

TIA

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

If the wall is really hard, then drill holes and use pin plugs...

Reply to
John Rumm

I guess something along the lines of a Hilti gun would do this... (They can put nails through steel joists AFAIK)

Maybe hire it from somewhere?

I have found that hold> Have just installed a new antenna and have reminded myself that

securing the

hardened pin

neighbour's

Reply to
Englishman in Ankara

Pin into the mortar only. Works for me.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

The trick is to use lots of little taps, not a few heavy clumps.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

They just fall out for me. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

'Snow nails' used to be the standard way of fixing cable into mortar, these consisted of a largish wedge shaped nail, with a strip of lead which could be wound around the cable. I've still managed to hang on to a few for special jobs, but for some reason they now appear to be no longer available.

Reply to
ivan

And of course hit the nail square - often not that easy when up a ladder, etc.

I also prefer a club hammer - or at least a heavy one - and light taps with that rather than harder ones with a light hammer.

However, as has been said, for a really neat job drill the bricks and use the special plugs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You're not supposed to 'test' them. Put in plenty and pray for luck. It also helps if you don't go back to inspect the work. ;-)

Which leads me to one of lifes little mysteries. How is it that when one has finished a job all one can see are the mistakes/bodges made, yet when one looks again after a period of time one is surprised at how perfect it looks ?

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

There are some plugs that I found on the Screwfix site 89036 which go into a drilled hole and then a cable tie can be attached. I bought some and they work well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yep, I'll second the vote for these plugs, especially if you are running multiple cables; BUT beware the effect of UV light on the ties. Unless a special grade is used they can fail in

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

There are a few varieties on that theme:

quite like the fifth one down with conventional cable clips.

Reply to
John Rumm

The nails bend for me :-r

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 01:43:20 -0000, "Malcolm Stewart" strung together this:

Yep.

Yes, a hammer.

Did I do that one?

Reply to
Lurch

securing the

Use good clips (Unifix, Tradefix) as cheap ones have weak nails and plastic. Tap quite gently many times with the hammer. Use eye protection.

Bill

Reply to
wrightsaerials

Oh I meant to say, for some reason the softest mortar is often in the vertical joints between the bricks, about a third of the way from the top edge of the bricks.

Bill

Reply to
wrightsaerials

BT engineers seem to use something similar (or maybe the same?). After getting bored of seeing normal masonry pin+plastic clips fall out of my wall the last one fetched what I thought was a device made wholly of lead.

After drilling a hole these were tapped into place with a single sharp tap. I think they were a lead 'plug' with a clip shaped head. I guess the hammering deformed the plug to grip the hole. I'd be handy to know their name to be able to get a few.

IanC

Reply to
clowes_ian