C/H "Pumping Over" - What Else Can I Do?

I did use Sentinel X300 and am still clearing it out. Flush out WELL.

my local DIY has stopped selling Sentinel and I have some SM1 instead!

I was thinking of buying a new aerator and just using the vertical vent into the bottom of the tank. I was going to do this for ease of plumbing (cutting out 28mm instead of trying to unsolder and re-use as I need quite a bit of heat to do that properly).

Are you saying its not worth putting an aerator "box" back onto my system?

Thanks

Reply to
Peter Hemmings

You have a 28mm aerator?

No. Put one in.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The Barcelona was de-bugged and rebadged as the Potterton Promax. Which is now a decent boiler. It was brought to market too early.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

================================== Just a remote possibility....

I recently had to replace the pump (had become noisy) in my system which has always been well-supplied with inhibitor. One of the pump valves was difficult to undo so I drained down and removed a section of pipework adjacent to the pump. On removing this section I found the pipe immediately above the pump half blocked by a build-up of black gunge - possibly the result of the pump impeller breaking up. I cleaned it out, refilled, flushed and the result was like a new system. Obviously the new pump is responsible for most of the improvement, but a half blocked flow pipe doesn't help.

The point is that systems can probably collect enough debris and sludge even when they contain inhibitor to cause subtle problems.

In the light of this single experience it might be worth dismantling the pipework in the area that's causing you problems. You might find nothing untoward but then you could find something similar to mine.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Well, 28mm in and out with 22mm for vent and feed.

Yep, I put in 28mm from the boiler in the "cold" garage to and from the airing cupboard, and FWIW most pipe runs to where they split to two radiators for example is in 22mm. No expense spared (I was newly retired and had a lot of time!).

OK

Thanks

Reply to
Peter Hemmings

Thanks, a good point and from earlier comments, I understand that the Airjec might well be a bit clogged!

Just for information, I have to alter the pipework (which was wrong anyway), and I can remove the whole area around the aerator as I have compression joints in the pipework! I am intending to fit a new aerator and will be cutting open the old one out of interest.

Thanks

Reply to
Peter Hemmings

================================== Just a thought....

I'm not a professional so I can't offer a lot of advice on the subject BUT I think you might do just as well without any air separator. I've never fitted one and I've always managed to bleed manually quite easily.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The aerator is a bigger vessel and it resists scale build up. It also get rid of air too, and can mean it accommodates a low head as well.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

================================== I assume that we're talking about the same thing - de-aerator (deaerator) rather than 'aerator'.

Have you any information / documentation about enabling the use of a low head? How low? Getting space for an adequate head can be a major problem at times.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Please read the thread and links.