Bye bye 60W

60W light bulb being banned

my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

Reply to
Jethro

I shall check.

Probably. Many (most?) security lights/timers/dimmers, etc., don't work with CFLs since a lot of them pass a small current through the bulb all the time.

Reply to
Huge

I have a switch with a built-in timer which I fitted in the kitchen - it has a flap which you press for on/off and which drops down to reveal the timer controls. It's only meant for incandescent bulbs, but I managed to rig it up with a little ballast which I bought from RS or Farnell, which goes in parallel, and provides the tiny flow of current the timer needs to stay working.

Reply to
Jethro

That depends how many bulbs you have stockpiled.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Just stock up quick. I've got enough 100w incandescents on my garage shelf to last me out...

Reply to
Ret.

But a shelf collapse would be a disaster. Hide them in multiple locations. Also beneficial in case the light bulb police come calling. ;)

(I don't think outdoor CFLs are even viable over here - too cold for them in the winter)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

You could always move to halogen GLS bulbs. Similiar light output, and saves a bit of energy too (42W vs 60W).

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I can not imagine how the great historical houses of England are going to go on, like Cragside House in Northumberland, Swann must be turning in his grave.

I have a nice stock of 100w Bulbs and will make sure I have a good stock of all the others.

It's going to cost churches and a host of other buildings alot of money having to change fittings.....

Reply to
the_constructor

Unlike when the 100W was discontinued, shops don't seem to be touting the fiction that the bulbs are banned for sale from that date. They are just banned for manufacture/import. So this time they didn't run down their stock months ahead.

As there is still a supply of 100W bulbs for sale (at a price), I am sure that you will still be able to find people selling 60W for years to some.

tim

Reply to
tim....

I'm not aware that the UK legislation has been fixed to be effective. Certainly, all the hardware stores still have 100W lamps - they're easy to find if you stay away from supermarkets and multiples who entered into a voluntary agreement.

There haven't been any incandescent lamps in my house for over

10 years, except some 12V 10W ones in one fitting. I tend to look after the lighting in some other family members' homes, and there was one room with a 3-lamp pendant and 2 wall lights which all used 60W, mainly because they're on an expensive (X10 DIN-rail) dimmer.

About a year ago, I converted them all to 35W 12V capsules. The light output is noticably more than the 60W mains was (unfortuately, I didn't measure it before stripping out the mains lamps, so I can't tell you how much more). Dimmer works fine too - a great result. The electronic transformers are in the room above, and I had to rearrange the wiring, including using 6mm² between the transformer and the 3-lamp pendant rose to avoid too much voltage drop. It's all still T&E, so I can revert back to mains operation without pulling up the floor again.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

At least one supplier has a link to 'banned bulbs and alternatives':

Chinese will doubtless invent the 59W bulb in various fitments...

Reply to
Terry Fields

these are still 'incandescent'.

Reply to
charles

No-one has to change any fittings

tim

Reply to
tim....

Guffaw. Idiot.

Reply to
Huge

Yes harry. Very good harry.

Reply to
Bob Eager

fiction that the bulbs are banned for sale from that

run down their stock months ahead.

you will still be able to find people selling 60W

I trust that was a typo, I don't want to find myself on the wrong side of the "incandescent divide".

Reply to
Graham.

Bwhahaha.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's only meant for incandescent bulbs, but I managed to

What value of ballast. Would a capacitor in parallel with the MF bulb do the trick for a PIR that only works with tungsten bulbs.

John

Reply to
John

Basically, how it is, innit, if you know what I mean !

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

T'was a slip in thought. I was referring to fittings that like the bulk head fittings like those that I have. Just can't find a CFL that will fit to give the same amount of light output. Our church has bulkhead fittings in all the cupboards for safety which are very similar to my own.

Reply to
the_constructor