Buzz buzz remover?

I'd already had a peek at the Adobe properties pop up window by doing exactly that so knew straight away what you meant. :-)

Appreciate the hint :-)

Now I'm using Linux Mint 17.1 for real, I'm learning about stuff I otherwise wouldn't give a stuff about in 'casual testing' so the transition from 'testing' to 'everyday use' is already paying dividends. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

I don't actually use Linux, but FreeBSD. However it's the same Flash plugin...

Reply to
Bob Eager

That is my understanding also.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No reason why not, considering FreeBSD is simply another flavour of *nix.

I use FreeBSD but only on account this is what FreeNAS (NAS4Free) is built on. I did consider a FreeBSD distro as a host OS simply because it seems to be streets ahead of the Linux distros in regard of SMB performance. I relented when I found it just a little too different from the more familiar Debian based 'popular' distros (I'm finding 'normal' Linux enough of a challenge to get to grips with as it is).

I might reconsider BSD at a later date when I'm feeling more at home with doing stuff the *nix way (not that CLI working is a particularly exotic deal (esoteric maybe, but not exotic), considering my years spent dealing with MSDOS 3.3 through to 6.2).

Right now I'm running ddrescue in a terminal to clone the contents of a Samsung HD103UJ to another 1TB Samsung, an HD103SI on account when I have it (the HD103UJ) connected to one of the new MoBo's SATA ports, it hangs the POST in an endless drive detection loop[1], a problem I worked around by chucking a cheap 2 port SATA adapter into a single lane PCIe slot to hide it from the MoBo's POST routine.

I'm not sure whether it's something funny in the MBR or, more likely imo, a controller issue with the HD103UJ. The box posts ok with the other drive connected to the on-board SATA so unless it *is* something to do with the MBR code, I should be good to go sans the extra SATA adapter.

I could have simply used dd but ddrescue will run the job just as fast with the bonus that should there be bad sectors or any other problems, it can intelligently work around them without having to announce its inadequacies (ddrescue has none :-) The point of making an exactly identical copy is that it should confirm whether or not the problem is related to a corrupt MBR.

[1] I was faced by a 'non-booting' system a few days ago and disconnected all sata devices to verify the source of the trouble, reconnecting only the SSD boot drive with Linux Mint on to verify the SSD hadn't mysteriously failed. Once booted, I simply 'hot plugged' the other two HDDs and the two DVD-RW drives which Linux obligingly automounted.

Since I had urgent jobs running, I wasn't able to verify whether it was a permanent problem or just a random issue until 16 hours or so later when I finally got my chance to power it down and reboot it again after which it was just a simple case of elimination until I discovered which device was causing the problem.

A classic case of Murphy's Law in operation if ever there was one! What should have been a 'done and dusted deal' had turned into 'an Albatross around my neck', one that I'm hoping to be able to remove in the next half hour or so.

Reply to
Johnny B Good