Buying paint

The septics don't fare much better, I had a glance at some Home Depot prices for white gloss

1 quart (~1 litre) for $14 (£8.50) 5 gallons (~19 litres) for $135 (£83)

presumably plus taxes.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've wondered that too. Where do you get white pigment for oil paint cheaply, ie not lime?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

/ I've wondered that too. Where do you get white pigment for oil paint cheaply, ie not lime?

NT /q

How much do you imagine you need?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

Did you mean to say, " . . . . and they have _yet_ to find some alternatives which work anywhere near as well."

That's certainly my view.

Reply to
fred

It's also used in Dye Solar Cells. I don't know whether the price spike was anything to do with this recent technology development or not. Maybe someone has decided to mass produce Dye Solar Cells and increased demand for Titanium dioxide by a sudden and significant amount. Just a thought (if not this, perhaps something else?).

Reply to
Johny B Good

I first heard about those roughly six years ago, and as they can be made virtually transparent, the idea was to put the coating on office windows, and use the power while reducing the cooling load in Summer. Pennies per square metre, for a power of a couple of watts per square metre.

Reply to
John Williamson

White lead / lead carbonate is USD 240 / tonne.

Of course I don't know how many tonnes you need of white lead compared to tit dioxide in paint.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

That's certainly the case for gloss paint. They can't match the original 'wet' look of dried gloss, and found the binders which some new paints use change colour rather quickly after they set, wrecking white gloss colour in particular.

and the paint industry's.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

So the bank owns your home?

Reply to
mike

It's the modern equivalent of having a payphone so the kids can pay for their calls.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

There are too many words in that sentence. :-)

All you needed to say was "The EU keeps banning products (that either work or compete with German products)"

Reply to
Andrew

Visit your Dulux decorator centre, and you'd be suprised what Akzo Nobel now own

Reply to
Andrew

Dulux International Glidden Hammerite Sikkens Sadolin Cuprinol

any more?

Reply to
Andy Burns

If you have a Wilkinsons near, their paint is very good and very good value.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Feel free to rearrange into a sentence starting with:

It Sikkens me what Akzo Nobel has done with . . . . . .

Reply to
fred

Which of their paints do you know or good, or have you used the lot? Think I'll try going Wilko, Dulux is getting unnecessarily (I think) pricey.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Sadolin is owned by Akzo Nobel but the Sadolin website firmly says "Crown Paints" at the bottom of the page. The Crown website lists Crown, Sandtex, Sadolin and Berger as their product.

But the odd thing is that

lists Sadolin among their huge list of brands but not Berger, Crown or Sandtex.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Crown is owned by Hempel...

Reply to
polygonum

In message , JimK writes

You can buy Titanium Dioxide easily enough from companies that supply pigments.

eg. 1kg for £15 on ebay: which would probably make a fair bit of paint.

Reply to
Chris French