Buying gas in the USA - Zip Code

Not quite - there are no counties in Scotland and haven't been for at least

40 years. Scotland is a country.
Reply to
Geoff Pearson

very true, but the Poat Office uses "traditional" (Victorian) counties.

Reply to
charles

Went to Screwfix the other day (because they had a 1.79 cable not listed at Toolstation).

First question the bloke asked me: "What's your postcode?" I declined to give it He had to call his supervisor Then he asked what I wanted They didn't have it in stock He said they can get it in Then he asked for cash upfront

Then I decided I could go home and order it from ebay and have it delivered for less money, saving another trip to SF...

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

No counties but they do have Shires.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I'm not surprised no one wanted to live close to you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What are the counties in Scotland called, then?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And some not - like Angus and Midlothian.

So no different from Englandshire?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dumfries & Gallowayshire?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Wales at the very bottom of the shit pile - a conquered nation and never allowed to forget it.

Time to remind the English of 1066 AD and 55 BC?

Reply to
Windmill

Karma, I would say. It's not so extremely long ago when the English, or Londoners at the least, had the same attitude to all the rest.

Reply to
Windmill

No doubt it depends on which browser and which OS you use, but hitting the 'End' key usually takes me to the end of the list, near UK and US.

Reply to
Windmill

Paxton, more or less on the Scottish/English border and near Berwick, has a TD15 Northumberland post code.

Lauder, miles from the border, has a TD2 Berwickshire post code.

All done just to wind up the SNP, at a guess.

Reply to
Windmill

TD (Tweedale) is a Scottish Postcode centred on Galashiels. All areas are in Scotland except TD15 (Berwick on Tweed)

and, when I was a student, most of Northumberland received its electricity from the South East Scotland Electricity Board.

Reply to
charles

Which doesn't make "County" a relevant part of the address.

The town is useful as a check for a simple mistyping of the post code, but having to type "Cambridgeshire" when I have just typed "Cambridge" is **** annoying.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

They have been mucked around but are still there.

As they have been mucked around elsewhere in the UK.

Reply to
harry

They got mucked around by Edward Heath - much more than those in England were.

Reply to
charles

I owned all the land. So no-one could. My nearest neighbour was 1/4 mile away. All my neighbours had unique postcodes. Hard to grasp for a townie I suppose.

Reply to
harry

Post code and surname will get to us... I strongly suspect name, post town and county would as well, county only needed as there are a couple of other towns with the same name as our post town.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice