buying bricks - direct from manufacturer ?

I am trying to choose and buy some bricks (around 1500). Red multi possibly smooth or dragfaced. I've realized the range of bricks at most of the builders merchants is hopeless, and then there is the internet with thousands of variants ! So, do people usually by direct from the manufacturers, or is the usual thing to get them ordered in at the merchants ? Choosing them from the yard at the merchants is hopeless ! Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You look for brick merchants such as:

Brickability,

even try typing in brick merchants in google and you will find:
really and all good stuff

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Well I went to the JF Beale in Derby (brickmatch.co.uk), who have a good brick library, but there was a total disconnect between "we've only got whats in the yard mate", and "if you want anything from upstairs (the brick library), it'll cost you 250 quid shipping" (from the manufacturers I would guess). So I've wasted a day. Since I want 1500 bricks, 250 is too much shipping to pay ! Dunno if the internet sellers have solved this problem. Else, I'll be traipsing the builders merchants in birmingham looking for what I want in the yards. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

That shipping charge is what you would generally pay for a full load of several thousand bricks and is pretty well standard - or you can pick up the quantity you want by simply turning up at the brick merchants with a suitable vehicle [1] - just hire (or borrow) a van or pickup for half a day and presto, no delivery charge.

BTW, red multi is pretty well a bread and butter brick to all the merchants that I used to deal with, and they usually had thousands of the beggars on stock.

As for internet sellers, if they do sell 'em on the net, then the delivery charges are still going to be high - you can't send 1500 bricks through the post!

[1] I would suspect that the manufacturer wouldn't supply you as a one-off, but simply refer you to their resellers - but it may be worth your while ringing them up and asking for the nearest merchant to you that would have what you want in stock.

All the best on your quest

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

I visited the Brick Library at E H Smith in Hemel when looking at Bricks for our extension. That got me started! I then found the Ibstock Web Site and identified a number of suitable candidates =96 the bricks for our house were handmade locally in the 1930=92s so getting a match was always going to be a challenge! The Ibstock Web site allows you to order free samples of the bricks, so I ordered about 10 =96 it suggests alternatives to each brick you select. Using these we were able to identify a combination of two bricks that would work together and achieved an amazingly good match. My builder ordered the bricks, so I don=92t know how that process worked, but suspect he ordered them through the local builders merchant. Sorry I can=92t help on delivery charges, but a big thumbs up for Ibstock!

Marc

Reply to
marc

Well its infuriating. I saw some hanson dark smooth multi in TP, wanted light smooth multi, "oh thats not a standard brick we have in stock". They will only order more in with a full lorry, which is about 30 packs. So its pot luck what is left over from a big order if you want 1500 bricks. What can you do ? I'll be lucky if I've ordered the bricks by Christmas, let alone built with them ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Course you can't. Never find a big enough envelope.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well some sense at last. EH Smith in solihull said they can order them and they'll use a haulier which should cost a lot less that the manufacturers shipping charge. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Glad you are sorted.

Couple of points not relevant to your problem..... If the quantities required are anything like a load it may be better to buy from the brickyard and dispose of the surplus. Deliveries which have been assembled at the merchants are likely to have been accumulated from different batches and have had at least twice the handling.

Also, how is it that Celcon can get away with supplying blocks which must have been damaged prior to wrapping on the pallet? You know the picture: corner missing from a block in the middle of the pack with no matching chunk.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Good question. By the way, aircrete blocks are by far the cheapest from Wickes. I have to take unbroken pallets from EH Smith, but luckily for me, the hanson smooth light multis come in packs of 504 ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Maybe I spoke too soon. Phoned 4 times over the last few days, they seem hopelessly organised, and never phone me back. Just why are people so useless ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Next try. Brickhunter.com. I've ordered some samples. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson