Buying bricks

Any recommendations on the best place to purchase bricks? I am building a small garden wall, approx 10 feet in length, 4 courses in height. I have been advised for the footing, given it's such a small wall to lay a course of bricks (headers) along the footings.

So, I *think* I need about 95 bricks (includes 10 overs). This is calculated on 29 bricks for the footing, then 56 for the wall (14 per course). Does this sound about right?

Also. how much mortar will I need? Thinking 2 bags of cement and 6-8 bags of builders sand?

Regarding buying the bricks, where is the best place to get them? I have a sample of brick I would like to match to as it's extending an existing wall.

Cheers

Reply to
Slider

I'm keeping an eye out for 100 or so on EBay. Surprising how often they come up within a 10 mile radius

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Try this:

'll need to change it from "Unit Converter" to "Brick Quantity Estimator" first.) Does bricks and then the amount of mortar you should need to hold 'em all together.

Reply to
Scott M

Depends if your priority is matching or price. To get the best match take your sample to a brick library. Almost certainly one of the big BMs near you will have one. Depending on the brick type the wall might well have weathered and the colour be different from new bricks. Sometimes you can buy so called weathered bricks. These are old stock that has been lying around in a yard somewhere and bricks from the outside of the pack will have changed colour. If price is your motivator, either keep an eye open on ebay or look around for a local builder using what you need and see if he will let you have some at the much lower price he will have paid by buying full packs - around 350 per pack depending on the manufacturer.

Supplying 100 bricks is down at nuisance level for BMs and their price will reflect this.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Cheers for that, however that states I need 196 bricks. Don't think that is correct.

Reply to
Slider

What type of bonding are you using?

OG

Reply to
Slider

Based on my experiences, you'll find what you want in a brick library, and then all the BMs will say "oh we haven't got them". Due to the reduced building industry BMs are holding a lot less stock that previously. I needed about 5 packs. No BM had them, Hanson would charge delivery for a full lorry load (hundreds of quid !), so the only option was to collect them. In the end, a BM arranged a friendly chap to collect them for me (or you could hire your own transport). The chap arrived with a small truck and trailer on the back, and used a hook crane and scaffold bars through the brick stacks to unload. Not even as high tec the BMs squeeze lifting device. The whole thing was a bit Heath Robinson, but at least I got my bricks. I did end up paying a small premium, but the bricks look good and are a good match. Its a bit like buying concrete, where you pay the price for part loads. Best bet is to find bricks in a builders merchant. Trawl the area with your yellow pages. You can easily take 100 bricks home in your car.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

What numbers did you put in? If I put in 10' x 1' (~4 courses) it comes up with 70 bricks.

Reply to
Scott M

Apologies, it was me. I had the metres radio button selected. Entered 3 for the length, then 1 for the height. Originally thought the length needed to be entered in metres and the height in feet - it's been one of those days!

Thanks for the link.

Reply to
Slider

Surprisingly, some reclaim yards are now stocking bricks 'to match' a local area build style..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher