Buying a TV. Help required!

Maybe it is because modern TVs are only a little thicker than Christmas cards, the manufacturers therefore have to use speakers suited to singing Christmas cards.

mark

Reply to
mark

Snag with taking the sound from other than the TV is sync. Most TVs delay the picture slightly so have to add a delay to the sound to get them back in sync.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not just depth. Speakers - or rather the mid and HF ones - need to point at the listener. Which means a larger frame relative to the screen.

What they could do more easily is provide half decent power amps so all that you'd need to do is plug in extension speakers. Better makes once did just that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Many DSP processors and amps have adjustable delay times so as to cope with this.

Reply to
John Rumm

Dunno. My TV speakers sound fine. Better with the hearing aid than without.

Reply to
Richard

Oh, indeed. But easier to take the feed from the TV?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Except many digital outs from TV's are 2.0 only. Even if using their own tuner on a HD channel that is transmitting 5.1. Certainly our Panny is like that from the SPDIF out. Though I think the ARC on one of the HDMI ins sends 5.1 if available...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Pricks up ears, which Onkyo kit? I have an Onkyo amp/speakers.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So it would depend on whether you prefer out of sync surround or in sync plain stereo?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

'Tis a TX-NR509. It is currently subject to this:

It is out of manufacturer's warranty and had a richer sounds 5 year warrant y, but someone put me onto the Onkyo fix that they are doing for all affect ed units, so the Richer Sounds warranty still stands. However, Onkyo said t hey reserve the right to replace with a different unit and I'm not sure wha t happens to the Richer sounds warranty if the serial number changes ! I get the box back on Monday.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Ooh! Mine was out of warranty and I hadn't got round to trying to argue with Richer Sounds about it, so that's good.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

nty, but someone put me onto the Onkyo fix that they are doing for all affe cted units, so the Richer Sounds warranty still stands. However, Onkyo said they reserve the right to replace with a different unit and I'm not sure w hat happens to the Richer sounds warranty if the serial number changes !

Well I've got the unit back, same serial number. The report gives a part nu mber they have changed and says its been fully cleaned and tested. I'll wir e it up tonight. I plan to keep a bit more air space around the unit to min imise any possible heat related issues. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson