buying a thermostatic shower

Further to my shower room installation, I am at the point of purchasing a mixer shower.

The Aqualisa unit in the main bathroom is pump fed from the cisterns so doesn't teach me much about selecting something suitable for a gas combi/mains at up to 5 bar.

Most shower head performance is quoted at 0.1 bar so unhelpful.

Where does one start? The combi (25kW) will also feed the kitchen hot tap and CH so thermostatic control might be wise.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

What about the budget? As I discovered when selecting shower kit recently, there is a wide range of stuff available for a very wide price range.

-- rbel

Reply to
rbel

I ended up with two Triton showers bought online with the intention of being able to run both at the same time off our 38kW combi. The details for the Triton showers in the booklet from Grahams gives far more information than you get almost anywhere else including maximum flow rates with and without the flow limiter. Blurb from most other plumbers tell you naff all.

What you really need is the maximum flow rate for hot water for your combi, and the minimum flow rate for the shower mixer to work. Oh, and a reasonable idea of how good your cold supply is.

In practice I suspect that you will be fine with almost any shower, but you may not be able to drive the biggest round shower heads designed to simulate a rainstorm.

HTH

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

In message , rbel@?.?.invalid writes

100-200?

I think a suitable flow could be measured using the existing at what I think is a reasonable rate. Jug and waterproof watch:-)

Manufacturers sites, rather than the on-line outlets, seem fairly informative.

I have studied the Wiki, thanks John, and think the installation of a bar shower mixer looks within my capability.

Now need any *gotchas*....

Reply to
Tim Lamb

According to the book our WB 30CDi produces 12.6 l/min at 35C and this is good with a decent Mira thermostatic valved shower unit.

When we started looking the advice I had from the fitters doing our new boiler and pipework installation (but not the bathroom) was that Mira was the safest bet. I first chose a Mira Mini because it was available as an EV and relatively cheap (around ukp 100 online) then realised that the valve centres were non-standard so future replacement may be a problem. The heating fitters suggested Mira Excel, which was prohibitively expensive. I then started looking at sites such as Plumbworld and Discounted Heating and found a very good price on a Mira Select EV at ukp 200 off Mira's price.

The perseverance paid off - the Select has proved to be excellent, simple controls, very good flow and very good at maintaining the chosen temperature.

-- rbel

Reply to
rbel

"David WE Roberts" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

I have had a "pressure balancing Mira 415" on two combis without any problem. Fitted same at my daughter's home - also combi. Less cost than a thermostatic I believe.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Yech, you must like tepid to cool showers... 35C isn't very hot, hot would be nearer 50C.

Perhaps you have missed the words "temperature rise" after 35C? That would make sense with that sort of flow rate and the power of the heater.

15C mains cold up to 50C. Might struggle a bit at full flow rate in the winter when the mains temp falls below 10C.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I did indeed, apologies. The showers maximum output temperature is set at the default setting 41C which we find to be comfortable. Mira's recommended range is 35 to 43. I have just measured the temperature and flow at the shower head at our preferred setting and it is currently 10 l/min at 40C.

-- rbel

Reply to
rbel

We installed a Grohe thermostatically controlled shower. We were worried = that the thermostat in the shower unit might cause problems because the com= bi boiler (ATAG) also has a thermostat to modulate the gas burner and contr= ol the outlet tmeperature. In fact it all works fine.

I wish I had used smaller bore pipework from the boiler to the shower so as= to get the shower hot more quickly.

Reply to
RobertL

In message , rbel@?.?.invalid writes

I see I have understated my boiler o/p. Actually 9-35kW. Delta T =35K gives 14.0l

I have yet to do the shower test:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Mine will be 15mm all the way.