buying a brand new car

We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount. Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

Reply to
Broadback

Wait till you buy the insurance, same game ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I am not new to buying a new car, approximately every 2 1/2 years, there has always been an element of run around, but this time it is far worse. VW do not have brochures but send en email with details, so they say,but nothing has tuned up yet to replace the brochure.

Reply to
Broadback

Have a look at some of the motoring magazines which will put you in touch with brokers who buy in bulk to get fleet discounts. Many of them will register you as first owner too.

What Car and, I think, AutoExpress also list 'best deal' prices to aim for and if you can't achieve it will then put you in touch with a broker. Or so they used to claim.

Use that as your starting point and negotiate around that THEN negotiate the value of your part exchange (if you have one). Don't get pushed ito letting the salesman wrap it all up into one UNLESS you are good at doing quick calculations in your head so you can cary the different margins with you.

Reply to
Mark Allread

If you know exactly what you want there are websites where you enter what you want and dealers make offers to you. Never used it but it might be an interesting exercise especially if you swap a couple of digits in your phone no to start with and use a disposable email addy just in case.. Carwow and drive the deal are two such. Is an EU import still worth doing? maybe not with the exchange rate.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Five years ago I used drivethedeal, you spec the car, they trawl round dealers to find who will give you the best price, you never see or speak to a salesman. I've seen a newer service carwow advertised on TV.

Presumably august is still a bad month for buying?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not necessarily - its toward the end of the 6 month for Reg changes so a good deal may be obtainable for an August delivery rather than a September one. Further down the line when you come to sell, the difference in value due to the 'old' letters on the plate is more than offset by the savings made initially.

Reply to
Mark Allread

A friend of mine said he was fed up cos most salesmen wanted to lease the cars not sell them for some odd reason. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Use the interweb. I got the best deal on my van & it came from Hull!

Reply to
David Lang

Being a cash buyer doesn't feel like anyone's falling over themselves to take your money, probably a combination of

leased cars being more likely to lead to another sale in 3 years time.

making money on the finance as well as on the sale.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Same here. I buy new, but keep for ~10 years, so I don't buy that often. I found dealing with the car salesman very unplesent.

Ford sent me a routine questionare afterwards where I made my views very clear, and they followed up my responses (8 years ago) saying they were introducing a process to buy a car directly without going through the sales force, but I haven't looked to see what that is.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Isn't there enough advertising and spec of theirs online.

FWIW we bought a new Polo online through 'Drive The Deal', not a bad discount at the time without having to talk to sales people. It was delivered from a VW dealer, faultless. Mind ye, this was 13 years ago.

Not a new car trader but if ye fancy some fun distraction, this chinese lady pitched up at Dragon's Den and told them where to go... Which made great (set up) TV.

The internet (well, netscape navigator) was made for her. She is a self professed database programmer and came over as barking ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Seem to have PDFs online ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

When I first clapped eyes on that web page, I was somewhat taken aback. Obviously, those on dial up need not apply. However, after scrolling through the whole page... and then back to the top, I could start to appreciate the effort that had gone into its parodying *everything* (it seems to me) that's wrong with "The Internet". The closer you look at its content, the more you can appreciate it as a kiche work of art. It's got just about everything, even a cat and a dog! :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

I buy around a year old and sell when I get a bad feeling about the car. Never buy a car off of me! Dunno if my feelings will work for electric cars.

This IMV is the most financially efficient way of doing it.

Reply to
harry

Bought a new golf earlier this year - Carwow saved me over £3.5K. The great thing is that is was through my normal dealer and because they sign up for the service you don't have to haggle. Part ex offer was lousy thoug h so sold it independently. I even got a £20 Amazon voucher from Carw ow for using the service. Also check out drive the deal and orange wheels who offer similar services.

Reply to
PAJ

Always buy a new car in December. Then they really will roll out the red carpet.

Reply to
Andrew

even worse is dealing with a 2nd hand car salesman.

Reply to
Andrew

when I went hunting for a new car just over 3 years ago, it was amazing the different attitude of dealers.

"The one in the showroom is the top of the range model - but you won't want that model." - Actually I did - but I bought from another dealer.

Test Drives - two dealers did allow me a test drive - but not anywhere I could go above 30mph - despite the A3 (unrestricted) being very close. And, my saying I would be doing a lot of motorway driving.

The dealer I bought from let me have a proper test drive on all sorts of roads.

Reply to
charles

carwow just tells you the *maximum* price you need to pay.

You can then go and get a better deal.

Reply to
dennis