Buy to lets

You are a nasty little control freak.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Except they weren't.

Methinks if it was a sure - fire way to fill your pub the landlords would have fallen over themselves to do it much earlier.

Whereas if it reduced custom compulsion would have to be applied.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Probably not. Even as a rabid anti-smoker, I wasn't that unhappy with the situation as it was. I am very much in two minds about the legislation - the libertarian half of me is embarrassed that the anti-smoking half of me is so pleased.

(I went to a dinner-dance on Saturday night, and ended up spending some time standing outside in the cold talking to people who happened to be smokers... It was nice that there was no smoking inside, though.)

Reply to
Huge

I can only speak for the pubs I've visited. As can you.

Please explain why - if the smoking ban was going to be good for overall business in the licence trade - their trade body was so much against it as implemented?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The other sad thing is smoking bars would keep out pillocks like him.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I agree.

I have no idea. And what's more, I don't care.

Reply to
Huge

I have not replied because I was looking for advice from people experienced in the property - financial sector. Not to have a senseless usenet type discussion with armchair experts. If you would like to disclose where your knowledge in the subject originates from I will happily answer any questions you my have regarding my BTL venture.

Reply to
Phil Gardner

I am quite tall. Control? Yes. Control our freedom. Freedom from being poisoned.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I suspect that you spend rather too much time holding your hose.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Libertarian half of you? That side should be delighted that people have the liberty to enter public places and not be exposed to toxic fumes. Their liberty was curtailed previously.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So the next step is to ban outdoor smoking areas like this, on ecological grounds, of course.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You must eff off as you are a smoking idiot!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Others hold that for me.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, I agree!!! One local pub had these heaters when they came out around

15 years ago. People would sit under them and drink. They stopped them as it was too expensive to run to what extra business they brought in. I can't see these heaters offsetting the gains in smokers being under them.

If the heaters are not there the smokers will just be in the pub not smoking anyway.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Actually that culture is changing rather quickly. Many places really have become smoke free.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Controlling freedom is about your mark

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Yes, controlling the maintenance and upholding our freedoms.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The pubs I've visited are at least as busy as they were before the ban, and the bar staff and owners are very happy with the change. Especially in the numerous "gastro-pubs" in London.

I'd have a guess that it was fear of the unknown. Some publicans look out into the lounge, see the thick smoke and assume that every customner is smoking and that a ban will lose all of those customers. In truth the smokers were a minority with an influence on the majority. When they stop smoking more people feel able to visit the pub in comfort.

I've certainly started to make more use of pubs for food when away from home, they're cheaper than most restaurants, better food than many restaurants and pleasant places now that I no longer feel the need to heave over my dinner.

Reply to
Steve Firth

At the pub that I most frequently frequent, there's a large canopy fitted at the front by the door, with a large halogen heater on the wall. Sadly to go into the pub you have to hold your breath as you pass under the canopy. There's also a transom window under the canopy and this is usually open, so that smoke wafts its way into the pub...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Sad that you now need your nurse to do this for you. Perhaps you should give her possession of your keyboard too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)