Buy a Dyson at your peril

There's a good source at my local council's recycling centre. I go there about once a week and theres usually at least one been discarded. Maybe I notice them more than other makes because they are so gaudy? Its certainly put me off buying one.

Reply to
BillV

On Thu, 06 May 2004 14:56:21 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Rick Dipper strung together this:

While you're at it complain about every other advert that misinforms and blatantly lies about the product it's trying to sell.

Reply to
Lurch

The latest Which report put Dyson reliability bottom of the league:

aris

As they are the biggest selling cleaner in the UK by miles, you will see more of them around.

Reply to
IMM

Yup I believe you could be right

Reply to
Ron Ireland

Our Dc07 manages the first two without any trouble, I can substitute my own waist length hair and cat hairs for the dog hair; it doesn't have any problem with those either. It used to be used regularly for vacuuming out the bottom of a solid fuel Rayburn and it managed that without complaint too. We also used it to clean out years of soot when we excavated the fireplace, again, no problems.

Just my personal experience.

Juliette

Reply to
Juliette

Ah, but have you actually switched it on? IOr is it merely an objet d'art in your parlour?

SWMBo now rerely uses her two, as she has discovered how ***ing awkward and heavy they are compared with a cheapo Japanese cylinder.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes of Dysons

Whereas the lady of the house here will only use the ageing DC05 and will have nothing to do with the Panasonic cheapy I bought for downstairs. I will admit that the Panasonic lost most of its suction when I used it to clear up some brick dust. The brick dust clogged a couple of its washable filters something that the spinning Dyson never had a problem with.

Reply to
me

I can think of better objets d'art.

Reply to
IMM

In message , Rick Dipper writes

What gets me about this ad is that one of the other vacuums isn't sucking because it looks like the pipe is blocked. Are Dyson saying that this can't happen with one of their machines?

Reply to
geoff

"IMM" wrote in news:c7d9sj$t38$ snipped-for-privacy@news8.svr.pol.co.uk:

I expect that's the mains lead problem we keep hearing about

mike

Reply to
mike ring

It shouldn't be so much because the cyclone comes before the filter and fan and removes a larger proportion of the dust before the air reaches the filter.

I have a large woodworking dust extractor that works on the same principle. THe fine dust filter is actually on the final output and the cyclone captures almost all the material before it reaches the fan.

A conventional cleaner has the bag as the first filter.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The standard slogan is "Nothing sucks like an Electrolux"

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think you have been unlucky.

Until recently, my partner used to work in a TV / electrical shop. They sold hundreds of Dysons and found them to be very good and reliable.

My partner and I both suffered with a mild dust alergy. About a year ago we also purchased a Dyson. The alergy problem has all but gone.

I have been very impressed with the machine.

(I have no connection with Dyson - just a happy customer)

Graham

Reply to
Graham Wilson

If you read Dyson's autobiography, he says that it was the dust extractor at a saw mill where he got the idea from of using a cyclone to separate dirt and air.

He originally wanted to use a cyclone to separate paint spray from air when he was spraying the metal frame of one of his earlier inventions

- the ballbarrow.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Wilson

I'm not quite sure what a Torx screw is, but I've had this problem (with broken lead) twice, and removed the little cover over the switch with an Allen key.

The second time I did this, I managed to break the switch - the metal connector snapped. (The fitting is rather tight.) My local Dyson dealer here said the whole cleaner had to be sent to England!

I wonder if anyone knows where I can get this small switch?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

They take my uncle who runs his own vac repair business on holidays whenever he fancies so he can't fault them...

I'll stick with my Henry.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

We've had a DC01 for eight years and it's still going strong. I've replaced the drive belt once, but other than that it's been trouble- free. My only criticisms are that the flexible hose is a little awkward to use and that it doesn't lie flat enough to go under beds.

James

Reply to
James Fidell

It's similar to a cross-head screw, but uses a star-shaped driver instead of a cross. There are also "secure" version where the centre of the star-shaped depression in the screw is raised, so a standard torx bit won't fit. Even bits for those aren't hard to come by though.

James

Reply to
James Fidell

I am sure the wife says exactly the same thing - but do you hear here complaining?

(:-)

Graham

Reply to
Graham Wilson