Busted jigsaw motor - fixable?

My jigsaw started sparking and throwing out smoke, so I took it to bits, found a shorted coil in the motor, and disconnected it. But it's still doing this (sew video). Is there anything that can be done, or does it go in the bucket?

Mr Macaw

You need to repair the coil not remove it.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Removing it makes the motor provide force 23/24ths of the time. How is that wrong? And why would it still flash at the brushes when the shorted one is removed?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Yawn. Replace the brushes. Yawn.

Or throw it.

Reply to
GB

Tried that before on a brush cutter, but it didn't fix the problem. I was told the coils were shorting and that was busting the brushes. I got a warranty replacement.

In this case, the jigsaw DID have a shorted coil. Every coil was 1.15 ohms except one coil which was 0.1 ohms.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Yes but 1 time in 24 the current is going from full to min and causing the sparks.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I see. But presumably nothing like from full to short.

Repairing the coil would be impossible, the insulation is like glue, you can't unravel little motors like that.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Hmmm, seems like your 21 year old degree is as useless as you are. You have been called a tool twice. Allow me to call you a prick.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

In message , Mr Pounder Esquire writes

None of my business but anything that looks like a shorted turn does annoying things with an alternating magnetic field:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I am sure that many kettles have an opinion on that.

Reply to
ARW

Kettles do not post here, thicko.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Bosch spares are usually readily available, and not too expensive.

Reply to
newshound

It's a "Challenge" from Argos. Not a big brand.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Consider the armature approximating a rotating transformer.

One segment that has a short is like shorting a winding in a transformer.

Either get a new armature, or get a new jigsaw. I would favour the latter.

Reply to
Fredxxx

There's always the horrible bodge option. Run the thing in series with a 3k W fire. If it still sparks too much, reduce the fire power. Of course it'll affect the motor speed & power some, but not greatly. And you'll probably find that 1 time in 24 it won't self start until moved slightly.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If its a decent jigsaw, then replace the armature. If not, bin it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Needs rewinding, probably not worth doing just get another one. The reason why it happened in the first place might be nice to know for future proofing the new one!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Looks like a Bosch to me.

Reply to
newshound

+1
Reply to
newshound

No, unless Bosch are in the habit of selling off QC failed items to Argos?

Reply to
Mr Macaw