bushes for lamp holders?

Hi,

I'm wondering what the proper name is for the bush that screws into the bottom of the bulb holder in a table lamp? If I knew what they were called, I might have a chance of searching for them.

I'm curious why they don't seem to be sold with the bulb holder or at least why they aren't sold by the shops that also sell bulb holders. I realise the DIY make-your-own-lamp market must be very small but there must be some demand, and they must also be useful when the bush in a shop-bought lamp breaks. Or is it just that we live in a throw away world and they expect us to buy a new lamp when that happens?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

I've always called them "lamp nipples". You can get them from woodturning suppliers - e.g.

I remember there's more than on thread combination around, but the

1/2" - 3/8 BSW is common. You can screw the coarse end into a 5/16 hole in the wood but better to use a proper tap first.
Reply to
Norman Billingham

10mm is the other common size, and there's an adapter available too.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hi Fred

How many are you after ? If you're the Fred I think you are then I've got some here, and I know of a supplier in Dub...

Regards Adrian (email works)

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

I'm only after one at the moment but I don't think I'm the Fred you were thinking of. I'm not in Dublin. I think there's tree or four Freds that post here. Thanks for the offer though.

Reply to
Fred

Thanks. Typing "nipples" into ebay has found some results. I haven't been brave enough to search using google!

Thanks. I'm actually after the sort for ceramic lamps, so I don't need the woodscrew on the other end. I've found some described as "threaded tube" or "all thread" which would suit my needs. It seems you can buy it in various lengths.

I assume that if you bought a big piece you could cut it into shorter lengths? And I assume that any old M10 or M13 (as appropriate) nut would do?

I see there is also a plastic grommet to fit inside. Is this essential or just desirable? There seem to be fewer people selling it, which suggests the latter.

I needed one of these for a lamp that broke a few months back. This time I want to replace a lamp with a screw fitting with a BC fitting.

Another problem I have run into is that most online sellers do not state whether the lamp holder is threaded for use in table lamps and if so, which thread they use.

I note that table lamps often use holders with integral switches and these are rarer too.

Reply to
Fred