Bus Shelter

I've had a letter from the council planning department that Adshel have applied for planning permission to install a bus shelter, with iluminated adverting, directly adjacent to the front of my flat.

The shelter looks like it will be directly against the wall at the end of my garden, blocking my view of the road.

- it looks like it might even block the gate to my front garden...

This will replace the current bus stop, with bench.

Details of the application can be seen at

application is RU.04/0105.

Looking at the web site, it looks like they are applying to put these things up all over the area - there aren't any at the moment.

Interestingly, the application is just to display an advertisment.

- I have queried this with the planning department, who say they don't necessarily need permission to erect the bus shelter, just the advert, although I can object to both.

Apparently you can't object to loss of private view, or value of property.

What I'm more worried about is youths hanging or it being vandalised, plus of course the thing being lit up like a belisha beacon all night.

Does anyone have experience of this, and any likely good reasons to object?

Thanks,

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Howard

"Chris Howard" wrote | I've had a letter from the council planning department that Adshel | have applied for planning permission to install a bus shelter, with | iluminated adverting, directly adjacent to the front of my flat. | This will replace the current bus stop, with bench. | Apparently you can't object to loss of private view, or value of | property.

You should in law be able to object on grounds of loss of privacy, as the planning authority has to act in accordance with your right to privacy under the Human Rights Act. However, if you're already overlooked by a public road and an existing bus-stop you probably have no grounds for objecting as the situation is not being made worse.

Suitable grounds for objection could include constriction of the width of the footpath, or obstruction to sightlines when manoeuvring a vehicle on/off your drive.

| What I'm more worried about is youths hanging or it being vandalised, | plus of course the thing being lit up like a belisha beacon all night.

If the thing is lit (and the existing one isn't) that may be a deterrent to vandalism, and Adshel are usually pretty good about cleaning their shelters and replacing broken glass. On balance, these are preferable to traditional shelters because the money raised from the adverts funds the shelter instead of it coming off 'the rate'. And more bus shelters encourages people to use public transport, which is a Good Thing.

You could contact your community constable[1] and see if the Police have any concerns about the location and the local 'known characters'.

If the yobbos start hanging around, 'adopt' the bus-shelter and give it a good pressure-washing every Friday night, with them in it. Probably the nearest most of then would get to a bath, anyway.

My mum once got a bus stop moved simply by speaking in best Bossy Teacher mode to the men putting it up, so they moved it along a bit :-)

Owain

[1] Am I the only one to have the Police control room on my BT Friends and Family list? :-)
Reply to
Owain

They put these up for free, and the money they make on the ads pays for them.

Object to the add, and they IMHO will be unlikley to put it up at all.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

"Rick Dipper" wrote | They put these up for free, and the money they make on the ads | pays for them. | Object to the add, and they IMHO will be unlikley to put it | up at all.

Good idea. Especially if the constant presence of Sexual Imagery (because almost all adverts are based on sex) outside your home will Offend your Religious Principles.

Local authorities are scared stiff of Offending Religious Principles these days.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Well these new Adshell shelters are also a right pain to wire up,with the service box being under the fixed bench and you have to get a cutout and RCD in there.

Jon.

Reply to
John Southern

Some SWA to the house to power the immersion heater could help compensate for the nuisance of the shelter.

Remove SPAM from email address

Reply to
Jim Michaels