Burn hole in worktop

AIUI; that's only for end-grain wood - not the side-grain 'smooth' sides. That's, allegedly, why 'Butchers' blocks' are aggregated from cubes of wood with the end-grain visible.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

There was a discussion about bugs on this ng some many months ago.

I went over to 'Persil' kills 99.9% of bugs and germs type washing-up liquid. Back came a very logical argument, that killing the lesser bugs left the MRSA types free to multiply.

I threw the biological cleaner in the bin.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Do you think they even knew about bacteria when the started making butchers blocks?

It is to stop splinters getting in the meat. If you used a cleaver on the long grain it would soon splinter, which it doesn't on the end grain.

Reply to
dennis

I know. That's why I don't care about it:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No, it's to make the chopping easier with no damage to longitinal fibres.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That would be true if your persil relied on antibiotics to kill the bugs, but it doesnt.

Also it may or may not kill 99.9% of bugs it touches, but it wont kill ones embedded in muck in grooves in wood, or any other material.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

"Mary Fisher" typed

I don't like garlic-flavoured apple pie, myself...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

The message from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

Helen you're /so/ conservative!

Reply to
Guy King

LOL! I've never tried it :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I have to agree - I was suggesting its use as a decorative/heat- resistant inlay, not as a chopping board :-) I suspect that people who use glass chopping boards also use those nasty serrated "never needs sharpening" knives.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I've got glass boards and sharpen my own knives - with glass you have to. I dont try honing them to razor perfection, so sharpening is quick enough.

If wooden boards were a new idea introduced today they'd be illegal, as there just not reliably cleanable imho. Inability to see when theyre clean or not is part of the problem.

NT

Reply to
meow2222