Burn hole in worktop

Any ideas for a large burn mark in a fitted kitchen worktop ? it's only 4 years old but I can't find the same pattern anywhere.

As it would cost hundreds to replace the whole lot ( professionally fitted ) I'm trying to think of a way to hide the offending area.

Is it possible to inlay tiles on a standard chipboard worktop?

Chris

Reply to
Ozzie

I'm watching the answers carefully, as we have the same problem...I've thought of fitting something 'ceramic' proud of the surface and sealing the edge. Haven't done it yet due to lack of tuits.

Reply to
Bob Eager

How big is the burn? - I'm guessing about the size of a saucepan bottom? :-p

Personally i wouldn't attempt to cut out so that the tiles were inlaid, I would simply affix a wooden beading to the worktop in a diamond shape and tile inside that, and use gripfast or silicone instead of tile adhesive. A lot of it depends on where the burn is too, if it could become the new tea-making area then the kettle / teapot wouldn't look out of place on it...

Reply to
Phil L

How large, and in what location?

If it's the right shape/size, and in the right place, you could recess in a slab of granite to act as a hot pan surface.

Reply to
Grunff

======================= I remember seeing something like this quite recently which is designed to be let into a worktop - possibly in Argos:

Cicero

Have you considered ignoring it?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I have seen a template for cutting a patch out and replacing an oval shape of you have a off cut still left

Reply to
Mr Fixit

The problem with that is if you inlay them, then unless you get the sealing perfect, then you risk the chipboard swelling up. Routing out an exact rectangle, painting the inside with several coats of waterproof stain, and tiling in there, then grouting may be an option.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Buy a good chopping board, router about quarter of an inch deep out of the offend worktop area using the chopping board as a template, hey presto a chopping food area with removable CB for when it needs cleaning.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

And the first time someone knocks a pint of milk over, hey presto a four inch thick worktop. :-p

Reply to
Phil L

:: Have you considered ignoring it? :: :: Mary

:-) lol that's what my 18 year daughter suggested, she was the offender !

Chris

Reply to
Ozzie

Sometimes the young have sense.

Mary

67 yo
Reply to
Mary Fisher

:: :: How big is the burn? - I'm guessing about the size of a saucepan bottom? :: :-p :: close :-) , a crescent shaped part of a saucepan , the error was realised in a split second and the pan ended up on the floor .

Chris

Reply to
Ozzie

:: Sometimes the young have sense. :: :: Mary :: 67 yo

sense of humour maybe.

Reply to
Ozzie

Only if you're clumsy Phillip?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Yes I saw your toungie, but there is such a thing as varnish ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Your idea would work but the cutout would need sealing first, either with silicon or gripfast / evostik. But your chopping board idea is a good one, and I'd say an inlaid glass chopping board would be better than tiles, especially if it was inlaid into black or white silicon (with no voids or bubbles) or an opaque glass board.

Reply to
Phil L

Well I did give an idea, and it doesn't take Einstien to work out sealing it first. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The OP's has an 18 yr old daughter ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Maybe you could ask her to repeat it and make it into a pleasing pattern?

Reply to
dennis