Burglars and alarms

Would you really be happy sending a mate round to check on the place? If there is an intruder they aren't going to take kindly to being disturbed and are quite likely to go through you mate rather than around him...

Interior Sound Bombs to make it decidedly uncomfortable for any one inside might work but ear defenders are cheap and easyly available.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Although they do loose the benefit of advance warning of anyone coming into the house, or of approaching police sirens.

Reply to
Andrew May

That happened to one of my brothers a few years ago, three-bed semi. He and his wife reckoned the easiest way to get everything away was by parking a van in the neighbour's drive but no-one saw anything. Stange affair altogether I always thought.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

There was a case in Italy decades ago. Wealthy family, grand house full of antiques. Their 'runabout' car was stolen, but was anonymously returned a few days later with a note inside; "sorry we had to borrow your car, missed last train and had to get home. Here are 6 tickets to opera next week, be st seats in the house." Family goes to the opera, returns to find house e mpty.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Only the country changes...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

has a variant[1] from 1949....

[1] Of the story, not involving a VW Type 3.
Reply to
Alan Braggins

Which you wouldn't hear above the sound bombs...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Dave Liquorice writes

I'd be happy to ask a mate or neighbour to take a look from a safe distance and to call the police if they saw anything untoward with them advising that they had confirmed intruders on the premises. In your case I'd ask them to log into your weather webcam to take a look ;-) (is that still live?).

Can't say I rate sound bombs, tinny HF piezo drivers that are too easily attenuated by earplugs or ear defenders. I've used Elmdene compact moving coil sounders instead and the lower freq pulsing output makes it feel as if your temples are being squashed in a vice multiple times a second.

That's not really the point I was making though, I was countering the, "what's the point in having an alarm as they're unreliable and too easy to get round" argument and my view is that there are economical ways to encourage the scrotes to move along or to limit your risk of total loss if you are able to rely on the goodwill of friends and neighbours.

Reply to
fred