Bungalow extension help needed.

I have inherited a freehold Bungalow with a largish garden.

It has a separate single garage connected to the bungalow by a carport, all marked on the Land registry plans.

I want to build a double garage come workshop and home office as an extension to my bungalow. It will require planning permission as it will be 1 ft 30cm from the boundary. I will also incorporating land now occupied by the existing carport and garage as we as a garden home office shed and a garden shed.

Has anyone done something similar or has any an ideas, photos or plans that might help me go in the correct direction.

The Bungalow has a Gable end and the Workshop extension will be in the top bar crossing a =93T=94 more or less.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Chris

Reply to
BusaC

It has a separate single garage connected to the bungalow by a carport, all marked on the Land registry plans.

I want to build a double garage come workshop and home office as an extension to my bungalow. It will require planning permission as it will be 1 ft 30cm from the boundary. I will also incorporating land now occupied by the existing carport and garage as we as a garden home office shed and a garden shed.

Has anyone done something similar or has any an ideas, photos or plans that might help me go in the correct direction.

The Bungalow has a Gable end and the Workshop extension will be in the top bar crossing a ?T? more or less.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Chris

It would be easier to talk to an architect or a builder to see what you can and can't have in the space. You should also find out if there are any restrictions on foundation positions and things, because you won't know about local water table depths and things like that. Your local planning department should have all that kind of information.

The ground works are the all important part of any construction, so they need to be researched fully before you even go into the planning and design of your new build. It may cost you a fortune to have pilings set in the ground just so you can have a small single storey extension or workshop added. So I would advise getting all the information about the land first, then see what your planning department will allow for your site.

Good luck.

Reply to
BigWallop

More than likely

But not for that reason. Distance from the boundary is irrelevant with regards planning permission. It *is* relevant with regards building regs but only if the structure is built largely from combustible materials.

I think a chat with an architect or architectural technologist(less qualified but therefore cheaper) would be the best first step. They should have lots of ideas about how best to turn your requirements into bricks and mortar,

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

FIrst thing is to look for any similar extensions to similar properties in the area, since often you will be allowed to do what others have done (not *always* though !). Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Thanks for the advice

Chris