bungalow extension

Can you tell us more about that, please?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hi all I am now half way through replacing the eaves and edge boarding of my 1970s bungalow thanks to all the advice I have got from this group.It is proving to be hard rather brutal work-but-edge scaffolding makes the job easier-I am sure my roofer would think it "cissy"--"hang off ladders like a man". His comment "I would nt get out of bed for less than £150 a day" sent me up there in the first place!. I am planning to extend my bungalow and have bought the excellent Selfbuilders Bible--full of general practical advice and the daunting Greeno and Chudleys Building Construction Handbook.

Can anyone reccomend a book specific to extensions.

I intend to build a timber frame extension with a block outer cladding--standard procedure in rainy Scotland.

Reply to
tom patton

Kids eh! What do they know?

That's us. But a (very capable) son willb e embarking on extensive re-ecverything to his 'new' dilapidated 1955 house and his birthday's coming up. I don't want to buy him a Micky Mouse book ...

Thank you,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes I ve read about it on this board so when my 58th birthday came round"you are not going up on that roof dad" I bought it --written by Mark Brinkley it is aimed at the self builder but if you are doing big building projects eg extensions-reroofs its great--full of excellent logististics advice. Not being in the building trade I am completely unphased by dire warnings-but-like a lot of d-i-yers I need practical advice in book form. I would certainly advise any practical person to do all their own building works--might lose your hair-sense of humour-wife-but you will get there in the end PS my nephew built his massive 400 square metre kit house with no previous building experience-he was a self employed painter tho

Reply to
tom patton