Bullding a BBQ, how much cement and sand to buy?

I'm building a double-BBQ of the standard size 670mm wide (but two of them side-by-side) with a little extra bit on the end for a paving slab to make a table. It's 17 whole bricks per course and 11 or 12 courses high. I have 210 bricks.

Can someone tell me how much cement and sand I need to buy?

It's building sand to get, right? Ratio of 1 cement to 6 sand. I have a mixer ready to use, plasticiser and brick ties.

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon Parker

Sharp sand is OK too.

I rather like building with sharp sand.

Ratio of 1 cement to 6 sand.

I've used stronger mixes than that for stuff that can get kicked and bashed about. you wont be wrong to use 3:1

Remember that the sand fills the gaps between the bricks, and the cement fills the gaps between the sand. If you don't fill them completely the strength is low and the porosity high, and that means frost damage is easy.

I have a mixer ready to use, plasticiser and brick ties.

THats all fuine then.

But my advice is double up on te cement. For a BBQ one bag of cement is prolly enough, and 3 bags of sand of the same size.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds about right to me too.

Reply to
newshound

Each brick wants 9"+3" x 4" of mortar bed, say half inch thick. That's 24 cubic inches or 390cc. Get at least that much sand plus 1/3 as much cement - and ideally the same volume building lime as the cement. Lime is less dense.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr