Bulk application of emulsion paint

Now I've seen the Dulux adverts where there is swift repainting of rooms to get a 'shaggable' colour but I don't know how true to life the whole thing is (the painting - focus!).

We are about to embark on painting a very large area including ceilings (plasterer is getting stuck in at the moment) so any labour saving tips would be much appreciated.

Firstly, does the Dulux system work?

Secondly, is there a better/cheaper similar system which works with trade emulsion?

Thirdly, would we be better off with a couple of very large brushes and then paint rollers to get a smoother final coat?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

No. It's absolute s**te. Son-in-law refused to believe me and my wife when we told him this. He set out to paint rooms using the Dulux crap. We got on with paint rollers, paint pads and brushes. In a week he did one room. We did every other room in the house.

The Dulux paint was hideously expensive. It also didn't cover well needing several coats. The worst we had to do was two coats.

And then the cleaning of the Dulux system. It takes forever and wastes loads of paint.

No. Unless you count brush and roller as "a system".

Yes. Just get the paint and paint it onthe wall. Thinking about it is worse than doing it. Just take care to do it properly, cut in edges and corners with a brush before slapping on paint with a roller.

Reply to
Steve Firth

=E5=9C=A8 2012=E5=B9=B410=E6=9C=8816=E6=97=A5=E6=98=9F=E6=9C=9F=E4=BA=8CUTC=

+8=E4=B8=8B=E5=8D=886=E6=97=B657=E5=88=8659=E7=A7=92=EF=BC=8CDavid WE Rober= ts=E5=86=99=E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A

=E5=9C=A8 2012=E5=B9=B410=E6=9C=8816=E6=97=A5=E6=98=9F=E6=9C=9F=E4=BA=8CUTC=

+8=E4=B8=8B=E5=8D=886=E6=97=B657=E5=88=8659=E7=A7=92=EF=BC=8CDavid WE Rober= ts=E5=86=99=E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A

Kaiyan Zheng

I've never used the Dulux thing but it seems like an awful faff. When we did a large room recently, I bought a 12" roller. A bit expensive compared with the normal 9" but at least it felt like progress was significantly faster: If anything it felt like more than the 1/3 gain you might expect, but that was not a scientific comparison (!)

Reply to
GMM

compared with the normal 9"

felt like more than the 1/3 gain

I used to employ a painter who had what looked like a 2 foot roller. Progress was *rapid*. :)

Reply to
GB

I find very few of these "bright ideas" work. I must say I like mohair pads, but by the time I have cleaned then I might as well have used a roller or brush.

Reply to
Broadback

Have you considered the "Mr Bean" method?

Roger Mills

For speed & large areas, a paint roller on a pole is hard to beat. For ceilings be sure to wear a hat.

Reply to
harry

Available from trade suppliers, although 24" rollers are usually labelled as floor paint rollers.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Yes, do you know why?

Reply to
GB

compared with the normal 9"

felt like more than the 1/3 gain

That must take some wielding: You can feel you've been using a 12" one after painting a room !

Reply to
GMM

compared with the normal 9"

felt like more than the 1/3 gain

I also found that a larger diameter roller helps. It holds more paint, for more coverage per "loading" and it also has a lower speed of angular rotation, reducing spatter.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

A large diameter roller reduces spatter considerably.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Reply to
The Other Mike

;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I don't imagine that Mr Bean's results were actually achieved by means of the firework!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Are you trying to conjure up an image of Kari Byron covered in paint? Just asking.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Only the ever-suffering Buster got the spatter treatment, and probably a bit of a headache.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I think the profile is too precise on the wall - I suspect there would have been some drift. And the footprints would have gradually faded. However good slapstick :-).

Reply to
David WE Roberts

HVLP gun with bulk container of paint on the floor.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon