Bulbs?

I have a Victorian effect lamppost on my deck with three 100w bayonet bulbs in it.

I've now decided it's too bright and want a softer light. I have varicose solar powered LED lights illuminating the water feature, plants & steps and sometimes the 3 x 100w bayonet bulbs either stop the LED's working (dawn to dusk sensors) or simply overpower them.

Initial plan was to change to 3 x 60w bulbs - but are there any bulbs that would give a better effect? Colour changing LED bulbs?

How do you compare an LED bulb e.g. 1 watt to a normal bulb in terms of light output?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You don't live opposite me do you? :-P

Reply to
Andy Burns

Nasty, but a simple operation can fix the problem.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You can get flickery flame bulbs, or if you want to use low energy ones dip them in some translucent glass paint to change the colour.

a gold tinted light
could use one of the dimmable fluorescents eg
bit expensive (especially for 3), but doesn't require a dimmer switch and would give you the advantage of bright light when you need it, without having to change fitting.

You can't in watts - compare the lumens instead.

This site doesn't give lumens - is this what you were thinking of

Owain

surely just dropping down to something like 3 x 5w CFL would do the trick? you could leave it on all night as a form of security light without losing sleep over the destruction of the planet.

Any reason not to use CFL's? They're cheap as chips so even if you didn't like the effect you would still have some spare bulbs to use in the house.

Pete

-- http:

- gym equipment, fitness equipment & Stuff

Reply to
gymratz

Have a look here, (phase change use seperate red green and blue leds that illuminate in phase and are a lot brighter than colour changing leds )

your lamp fittings face upwards then paint the inside of the cover white to reflect some of the light down.

-- mart@home

Reply to
Martin

I notice the 11W (60W equivalent) spiral ones made by Ring and sold in Focus are actually slightly smaller than standard light bulbs now!

Reply to
Ben

CFLs in traditional bulb shape should be a good option for that.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

For what?

They don't exactly have the aesthetic appeal of the lamp post in Narnia.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nor are they likely to start/operate reliably from cold, as around yukky decking (!), unless said decking has 'de rigeur' very-much-non-carbon-zero gas-powered patio heaters.

;-)

To me, a CFL has much less than the appeal of a nordinary street lamp.

After sunset, why not go indoors if it's really cold or dark, or wear a sweater?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Outdoor rated cfls are available. They often have a polycarbonate outer cover.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Except you'll almost certainly find they're 40W equivalent, or 50W at a real push.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I have two identical table lamps which had 60W bulbs in them. To compare the colour, I put the Ring 11W spiral bulb in one and left the 60W bulb in the other. I didn't really notice any difference in brightness.

Reply to
Ben

Gas heaters are sooo last year. We have a Chimera :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Are they suitable for use on decking, or would you recommend that people in the Medway area get a handyman in to put down a small paved area to stand it on? (medway, handyman, chimera, barbecue, decking, patio, firepit, kebabs, chardonnay...)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Well, ours sits on the deck - are those them keyword thingys? Chardonnay? Nah! Special Brew more like :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman