Builtin recirculating cooker hood with downward exhaust?

Does anyone make one?

Checking the final kitchen plans. Current theory is to box in over the cooker between the side cupboards.

However, cooker hood must be a recirculating type: 2 reasons - solid fuel appliance in the same room plus no easy path to run an exhaust vent to (roof hangs quite low plus my cables are all over the top of this area).

Recirculating is fine - just want to to trap some of the grease in a S/Steel dishwashable mesh.

However, encasing it with the cupboards so it blows a 100% steam/20% grease mixture randomly round the tops and backs of the cupboards until it pops out via the rear voids where we can never clean is a crap idea.

I'm about to veto the built-in idea in favour of a wall mounted type.

But before I do, I did wonder if they made any recirculating types that exhaust out the same base they suck in - say a couple of side strip vents or down the back along the wall?

This is not the sort of detail you tend to see on the Currys website (etc) because we've been looking...

Reply to
Tim Watts

You need a fan wired into the same circuit as the hood that sucks air into the buildding. (Sucking more air in than the hood blows out.) This makes the building be under positive pressure. And you need a CO alarm in case things go wrong. This is the setup I have.

Can exhaust from hood can go out through wall?

Solid fuel heating appliance should also have it's own air inlet.

Reply to
harryagain

In message , Tim Watts writes

Not seen any. The re-circ option on the one I have just fitted squirted the air out horizontally either side of the rectangular chimney. Room sealed boiler so I ducted it through the wall cupboard and the wall.

You'll find the stainless mesh doesn't block much fan noise:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That's OK - it's only running as long as I'm cooking :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim

Is there any way you can vent the fan to the outside? It makes a massive difference.

Reply to
ARW

On Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:05:16 PM UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk wrote :

I'd have to agree with this. Without ventilating outside I don't really see the point of them. If it's really impossible I'd save your money, trouble and decibel levels and use the wallspace for something else. If I can remem ber my Shakespeare correctly, recirculating seems to be a lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Or Tom Lehrer's derivative:

To end on a happy note, one can always count on Gilbert and Sullivan for a rousing finale, full of words and music and signifying nothing.

Reply to
polygonum

+1

When we moved in here the cooker hood recirculated, windows would pour with condensation if cooking pasta or similar. There was an extractor fan but it didn't work (seized) and was 4' below the ceiling. I attached a bit of flexy pipe to the hood (had to fashion a spigot from something) and put the end behind the external grill. Inside the 9" square hole was covered by a bit of ply and draught proofing tape to seal against the tiles. The difference it made to the condensation was amazing, it didn't cure it but we didn't have Niagra falls any longer. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Gas cooker?

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar

The HETAS bloke who fixed the flue for my coal stove advised strongly against it as it's hard to guarantee the fan will not overwhealm the draw on the chimney.

And it is *really* hard to find a route for the duct :-|

Might be possible in flat 50x100 [1] plus a roof tile vent - but I'm mindful of the HETAS bloke's opinion.

[1] If the flat-to-round coupler is able to fit in the extractor's "chimney".
Reply to
Tim Watts

I don't doubt it - but I'm going with the overriding limitation of there being an open combustion appliance in the room (stove).

What might work here though is a balanced heat recovery extractor fan, in a separate part of the kitchen.

But I have almost never suffered from condensation as it's a quite a large room with the dining room in it too.

Reply to
Tim Watts

No, 'lectric.

With LPG (butane) you get about 1l of water for each kg of gas burnt. The portable gas fire here running at 1.5 kW burns 105g/hr. A gas ring isn't going to be running that power for that long, if you get

50 ml/hr from a gas ring I'd be surprised.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No chance of sealing the stove and providing a separate source of combustion air? Mine is connected to a duct drawing air from the floor void with an additional underfloor wall vent.

Taking the extract duct through the cupboards does not lose much storage space.

Kair do one.

I suppose you could assemble a square recirc. duct to squirt the air back to the room: forwards over the cupboard top rather than along.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I used 100mm rigid tube and boxed it in to form a shelf where it runs through the cupboard.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No - solid floors and internal wall...

That could be possible... Thinks...