Built in washing machine

Hi all,

My washing machine has just packed up. I'm considering a "built-in" washing machine as a replacement because my kitchen is about to join my lounge when I knock the wall down.

  1. What makes a washing machine "built in"? Is it simply shallower to allow a door infront of it?
  2. Would one of these machines work without being built in (for the time being - I need to clean my clothes!).

Antony (no private email please)

Reply to
antgel

The machine is sized to fit and has fixings on its front for the cabinet door, yes it will work just the same freestanding

Peter

Reply to
Peter

"built-in"

Thanks for that. I'm planning on an Ikea kitchen, and need to find out if they even sell a unit that can hold a built-in washing machine. They don't supply washing machines, so it's quite possible that they don't have a suitable fitting. There is an oven unit -

*10652but I'm not sure if that is suitable, and it doesn't have a door.

Another question - does a built-in washing machine stand on the floor, or in the kitchen cabinet?

Antony

Reply to
antgel

On 12 Mar 2005 14:01:14 -0800, "antgel" strung together this:

No, oven housings will be designed for the oven to sit on the bottom, washers don't. You can get semi-recessed built in washing machines that just sit inside the cabinet. The door of the cabinet opens and there it is, a washing machine. Not being familiar with Ikea kitchens I can't be of much more use.

On the floor.

Reply to
Lurch

It's likely that a 'built-in' w/m will need no cabinet. It will just sit between other units and have a matching door. The plinth should also fit in front of the machine to hide it from view.

Mark

Reply to
Mark