Built-in oven and hob problem

Just replaced the built-in under worktop oven with a double oven type. The problem is the oven is much deeper than the previous single oven and because the hob is gas the pipe and elbow coming down from the from the hob prevent the oven from fitting.

My only option as I see it is to replace the hob with an electric type and have a gas fitter come over and terminate the gas pipe at skirting board level. I had initially thought that perhaps the pipe could be re-routed closed to the wall but the gas fitting on the rear of the hob exits where the rear of the oven is and I don't see how it could be routed so as not to interfere with the top rear of the oven.

Before I call in a gas fitter and order an electric hob is there any other option open to me?

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorl

The (built in) oven is supposed to be fitted in a tall unit, ie: with a cupboard below the oven and another unit above. Built under ovens,(Single or double) are designed to fit below a hob or worktop.

Reply to
Rusty Nail

Hi Darren,

Welcome to uk.d-i-y! Maybe you could get your TomTom GO to work out a new route for the gas pipe?

Seriously, though, if the oven and hob are independent units, is there any compelling reason why the hob needs to be directly above the oven - or could it be offset, allowing the two to co-exist?

Reply to
Roger Mills

(a) lift the hob by building a plinth surround to raise it above the worktop

(b) lower the oven by cutting the plinth and base shelf of the unit and refitting a couple of inches lower

Depending on how the (electric?) oven is powered, you might need a new circuit if you change to an electric hob.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Please ignore rodger: built in oven ...

*15740*15743&categoryId=15743&cattype=subBuilt under oven....
*15740*16305&categoryId=16305&cattype=subListen to the people who know.

Reply to
Rusty Nail

*15740*15743&categoryId=15743&cattype=sub>>> Built under

oven....

*15740*16305&categoryId=16305&cattype=sub> Listen to the people who know.

Reply to
Rusty Nail

IKEA

Reply to
Rusty Nail

OK, my fault for a poor choice of words, it is a buil-under oven designed and intended for fitting below a hob/worktop.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorl

A fair point but the units either side of where the oven sits preclude the hob from being located anywhere other than directly above.

I have now opted to go with a new electric hob. The gas hob wasn't the best so this seems a good opportunity to go for a new induction ceramic type.

Gas fitter has just arrived to terminate the existing supply.

Owain mentioned I might requirea new circuit? I already have a decicated switched circuit for the oven, will this not suffice for the hob?

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorl

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:29:21 -0000 someone who may be "Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com" wrote this:-

That rather depends on the rating of the circuit and the rating of the oven and hob.

What rating is the protective device of this circuit? What size is the cable? How and where does it currently terminate? What is the rating of the oven and what is the rating of the hob.

As you are using a double oven and a (4 ring?) hob it may well be that a 45A circuit is necessary.

Reply to
David Hansen