Built in gas oven

Well, about the only time I use pastry is on a pie, and that won't cook in

15 minutes. And i'm not sure why I'd want to put a slice of bread in the oven?
Reply to
Dave Plowman

Certainly not - but I was just curious how often you'd use an oven for only 15 minutes to make a fast warm up essential.

I'm no expert cook BTW. As if you couldn't guess. But I find the microwave super for most veg etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

All the time. I warm plates in it, if nothing else.

I steam veg. On the hob, in one of those "petal" steamers that fit in a saucepan. Much nicer than microwaved.

About the only thing I find the microwave essential for is making white sauce.

Reply to
Huge

But you actually steam vegetables in the microwave - without having to heat more water than is needed. Simply use a suitable close fitting lidded dish with a table spoon of water in it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

What would you regard as disadvantages?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Menadue

Hehe - reminds me of when my wife and I got married years ago and got our very first microwave.

In with a pack of sausage rolls. Up with the timer. 30 seconds later smoke pouring out of the microwave, cases of sausage rolls done to a cinder (black).

PoP

PoP

Mostly fish fingers and chips or similar for the kids. To think, when she was 2, she used to eat Thai green curry, fellafal and salad, amongst other things. She grew out of that phase, unfortunately.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Nope. Not the same. Measurably not the same.

Reply to
Huge

Well, by now out of morbid curiosity, I should imagine!!!

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

We'll have to differ, then. Have you experimented with settings and the quantity of water? Because I find most vegetables other than root ones are cooked to perfection in a microwave.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

OK. He came and went after giving me a stern lecture about making sure I was proof against the complaining customers from hell (they are on the increase).

So I asked him. He says the manufacturers instructions must be followed. I said I was fairly sure the 'book' said the inlet gas connection is

1/2" bsp female iron. and 'all work to comply with BS 6172' (IIRC).

He quizzed me about the regs for cooker hoses.

Bottom line in his opinion: The only way to connect a built in oven is with a flexible hose to BS 669-1. He says this is what the standard says 'for ovens' (without regard to whether built-in, build-under, slot-in or free-standing).

So I asked about "Say I'm doing a "Landlords'" and I come across a hose supplying a hob". He said OK if

1) Hangs in a neat unstrained U. 2) Not subject to mechanical wear or abrasion. 3) Not in contact with anything that could be 70C+

I said it was unlikely that people would give up the cupboard space underneath. He agreed saying that in his view pots and pans might cause damage to the hose.

I asked about the unsafe procedure categories: We agreed AR (At Risk) if (1-3) above were not being complied with. ID (Immediately Dangerous) if significant damage had already occured even if (1-3) were being complied with.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

There's some good research to show that vitamins break down faster in microwave ovens than in other cooking methods. Sadly, I can't find it on Google in among the storm of loons with tinfoil hats on ...

Reply to
Huge

Restricting your search with site:news.bbc.co.uk often cuts down on the loon factor, and once you're got an author or journal name, you can follow that up.

is, I think, what you are thinking of.

Reply to
Stephen Gower

Good idea. I tried adding "BBC" to the search string, but it didn't help.

That's the one. Thank you!

Reply to
Huge

"Huge" wrote | There's some good research to show that vitamins break down | faster in microwave ovens than in other cooking methods.

That's good isn't it, it makes them more digestible?

Owain (convinced that pasta is both a protein and a fresh vegetable)

Reply to
Owain

Cheers thanks for that

Nik Venn