Built in gas oven

Hehe - reminds me of when my wife and I got married years ago and got our very first microwave.
In with a pack of sausage rolls. Up with the timer. 30 seconds later smoke pouring out of the microwave, cases of sausage rolls done to a cinder (black).
PoP

That's OK if you want all your food microwaved.

Certainly not - but I was just curious how often you'd use an oven for only 15 minutes to make a fast warm up essential.
I'm no expert cook BTW. As if you couldn't guess. But I find the microwave super for most veg etc.
--
*Heart attacks... God's revenge for eating his animal friends

All the time. I warm plates in it, if nothing else.

I steam veg. On the hob, in one of those "petal" steamers that fit in a saucepan. Much nicer than microwaved.
About the only thing I find the microwave essential for is making white sauce.

But you actually steam vegetables in the microwave - without having to heat more water than is needed. Simply use a suitable close fitting lidded dish with a table spoon of water in it.
--
*A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click *

Nope. Not the same. Measurably not the same.

We'll have to differ, then. Have you experimented with settings and the quantity of water? Because I find most vegetables other than root ones are cooked to perfection in a microwave.
--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

There's some good research to show that vitamins break down faster in microwave ovens than in other cooking methods. Sadly, I can't find it on Google in among the storm of loons with tinfoil hats on ...

Restricting your search with site:news.bbc.co.uk often cuts down on the loon factor, and once you're got an author or journal name, you can follow that up. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3188558.stm is, I think, what you are thinking of.
--
Selah

Good idea. I tried adding "BBC" to the search string, but it didn't help.

That's the one. Thank you!
"Huge" wrote | There's some good research to show that vitamins break down | faster in microwave ovens than in other cooking methods.
That's good isn't it, it makes them more digestible?
Owain (convinced that pasta is both a protein and a fresh vegetable)

Mostly fish fingers and chips or similar for the kids. To think, when she was 2, she used to eat Thai green curry, fellafal and salad, amongst other things. She grew out of that phase, unfortunately.
Christian.

Get one with a switchable fan, then.
--
*Funny, I don't remember being absent minded.

Dave Plowman wrote:

What would you regard as disadvantages?
Andrew

The main one - to me - is that they require more cleaning, and also make the kitchen itself more dirty. Add to that the waste heat which can make a small kitchen unbearable on a warm day.
--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

One is that they chuck out lots of heat: friends of ours have one and in the summer it makes their kitchen unbearable. This is one area electric has the advantage: because there are no waste gases to dispose of (into your living area) all the heat can be kept inside the oven.
They're also inherently safer as there's no gas to possibly escape if the flame supervision mechanism goes wrong, or possibility of poisonous fumes from incomlete combustion.